1

Club Ed: Chrissy in "Delta Zeta"

Today’s “Club Ed” features Communication Studies major Chrissy Romero and her involvement with the Delta Zeta Sorority. I asked Chrissy to tell us about Delta Zeta and why she became involved.

COMS major and Delta Zeta member Chrissy

“Hello! My name is Chrissy and I am a junior Communication Major with a minor in Public Relations. I am also a member of Delta Zeta at USF. Our sorority is one of two social, Pan-Hellenic sororities on campus and has been here for around 20 years. As a sorority we have 4 pillars: scholarship, social, service, and sisterhood.

Scholarship is important because we want to be intelligent women. Our chapter has a cumulative gpa of 3.2-3.4 which is one of the highest in our region. We require our new members to complete study hours so they are able to do their homework with their pledge class and get work done while bonding. Socials are ways we reward ourselves for our hard work! They let us let loose and have fun and give us a chance to show people a more fun side of Delta Zeta. Because we do not have a house like other sororities at other schools, we throw our socials at clubs that we rent out. In spring, we have two informal socials that are themed and anyone can come to them. We also have two socials in the fall but one is informal and the other is a formal social where the girls can bring a date if they wish. Service is very important to this specific chapter of Delta Zeta because we are very passionate about giving back. Our national philanthropy supports the hearing and speech impaired. In the fall we have an event called ‘Ali’s Way’ which is a banquet for a sister we had who passed away a couple of years ago from leukemia. The money we raise from this event goes to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. In the spring we have what we call the teter-toter-a-thon where we teter-toter in the middle of school for 48 hours straight in order to fundraise for the Hearing and Speech center of Northern California. Lastly, Sisterhood is the most important in my opinion so we do 2 activities a semester together. In the past we have gone to Giants games, Jelly Belly factory, Alcatraz tour, and more! These are paid for with our dues and it’s a fun time for us sisters to bond. I am the social chair in our sorority because I love planning events and thinking of the themes.”

Delta Zeta sisters... can you spot the COMS majors?

Chrissy planned their most recent social, which was on September 22nd at Rouge Nightclub. The theme was “With a D and a Z” which means people had to come dressed as anything that starts with a D or a Z! Hmmm… costumes that start with a D or a Z… Doctor, Dentist, Dynamite stick, Dandelion, Zebra, Zipper, Zookeeper…

I also asked Chrissy why she likes being in Delta Zeta: “Delta Zeta has given me the strength to lead because no one will let you fall. I rushed Spring of my freshman year because I had made friends but not friends that I felt were like me or made me feel like I could be myself. The second I got to Delta Zeta, it clicked that I had girls who actually cared about me and my well-being. It’s surely not for everyone, but for girls who are looking to make stronger connections and becoming well rounded women, its good to check it out.

You can like us on Facebook at Delta Zeta USF to hear about all our exciting events and be sure to look around school for flyers of our upcoming events and especially our socials!”

Thanks, Chrissy! By the way, our Communication Studies major is well-represented in Delta Zeta! You’ll see several women in your classes sporting DZ shirts and bags!

One Comment