1

Internship Ideas Class Edition: Alyssa at Benefit Cosmetics

I taught the Communication Studies Internship class last semester and I asked all of my students to write an “Internship Ideas” blog post for me. They all complied (maybe the grading had something to do with it?) but I haven’t kept up my end of the bargain. That is, I haven’t been posting them! *Sigh* So, today I am happy to present a long overdue post from senior Communication Studies major Alyssa Micciche. Without further ado…

Q: Where do you intern and what do they do?

Alyssa: “I am the PR/Marketing intern at Benefit Cosmetics, which is one of two cosmetics companies headquartered on the West Coast (the rest are in New York!), that makes and sells beauty products and services on an international level.” (My tense is correct… Alyssa continued her internship at Benefit because it was going so well!)

Q: How did you find this internship?

Alyssa: “I found this internship trough Professor Doohan and the internship class. I would highly recommend taking this class because it can lead you to some great opportunities and internships.” (Me again, I can’t take all of the credit… Alex from the Career Services Center passed this one on to me!)

Q: Why did you decide to intern there?

Alyssa: “I love the beauty industry! I always knew that I wanted to get involved in some part of the fashion or beauty industry and working at Benefit has been perfect for that. Also, I have been using their products since I was about 13 years old, so I was very familiar to the brand and their products.”

Q: What do you do on a regular basis at your internship?

Alyssa: “On a regular day at Benefit, I send a lot of makeup and products to celebrities, makeup artists, national magazines, bloggers, and video bloggers. I also track the “hits” that Benefit receives in both magazines and online. Currently, I am helping plan and execute an event that is going to happen in January. I assist my boss and co-workers with anything from invitations, to calling venues, to looking for decorations. Every day is something new and exciting to look forward to!”

Q: What have you learned from this internship?

Alyssa: “I have had the chance to learn a lot about the beauty industry. It is definitely unlike any industry I have worked in before and I absolutely love it! There has been a learning curve but I have learned through this internship that it is okay to ask questions and that if you want to be involved in something, ask. I have learned that PR is a field that I want to continue working in.”

Q: What advice do you have for other students looking for an internship?

Alyssa: “I think that connections are a huge part of finding an internship. All of the internships that I have had are because I knew someone that was able to connect me with the company. Also, I think taking advantage of the Career Services Center is super important because they really can help prepare you to nail your job interview and to get the internship of your dreams. Something that I have learned from this class is that you need to make yourself stand out so that employers remember you. It is great to get good grades and have great references but employers are look for people they want to work with, so don’t forget to show who you are and why you would be the best fit for the company.”

COMS major and Benefit intern Alyssa in front of her castle

Great advice, Alyssa! Thanks for sharing your experience!

campus

One Comment

1. Hello Alyssa,
    I’m very interested in an internship at benefit. I would love to hear more about your experience and ask more questions. I’ve been looking into application process, so it would be wonderful to talk with someone was has experience the internship first hand, I’ve been working in cosmetics and I know I want to work for a cosmetic brand headquarters, either within the marketing team or event planning. I think an internship would be an incredible place to start and get a foot in the door.
    Let me know if you have some advice, Shoot me an email if you have the time.
    Thanks so much!

Courtneyjohnsonmtc@gmail.com

Courtney Johnson