• Date of the trip: March 31st, 2020
  • Location: (42.286, -83.829)
  • Image or map of the hike location: In my backyard
  • A brief description of the site(s).
    • Topography: Flat land land
    • General habitat: Flat grass and weeds
  • 3 signs of spring- The red spruce is beginning to bud, so that’s a happy sign of spring. I heard a bird this morning, not sure what species but definitely means it’s back for springtime. Today felt warm, the high was 42 degrees Fahrenheit; it’s definitely starting to be spring weather. It’s supposed to be 48 degrees tomorrow.
  • 3-5 leaf descriptions using appropriate terms with photos of the leafs 
    • This is an Acer rubric (red maple) branch. It’s starting to bud! The red maple is extremely common in Michigan. This tree is part of what makes fall here so beautiful. Their leaves have serrate leaf margins, meaning it kind of looks like it has little teeth pointing forward. When this tree has actual leaves, I’ll take pictures of it.  Source: Michigan.gov
    • This is a dead Acer saccharinum (silver maple) leaf. Silver maples are found all over Michigan and are usually planted as shade trees. These leaves are more deeply lobed than other maples. Source: Michiganflora.net
    • This is a Spathiphyllum wallisii (peace lily) in my foyer. Peace lilies are low maintenance house plants. Their leaves are long and dark green. They’re very strong and they can grow up to three feet tall. Source: Proflowers.com

• Narrative:  I went outside at about noon. It was 40 degrees Fahrenheit outside and cloudy. The sun hasn’t been out in a couple days. The air was very nice and I noticed that some of the trees are starting to grow leaves again.