0

October 6: Free-writing for Essay 2

I have yet to pick my article for the rhetorical analysis. I’m a little concerned as I’m not the best at using the APA format. As I’ve repeatedly said, it’s important to just start the assignment as that is the biggest hurdle typically. I want to include a lot of evidence from the pipes I am writing about and analyze it completely. I hope to get a good grade on this assignment so I need to start early and actually do the peer review this time (my wifi didn’t allow me to attend the last class we had it). The last time I did a rhetorical analysis was in high school in my junior year so 4 years. I think I want to do something local like the San Francisco Chronicle as it might be easier in the sense that its subject matter might resonate or relate to me more. I want to reread chapter 6 of the “Everything’s An Argument” book and fully understand its content to incorporate that into my second essay. I don’t feel any concern with identifying the rhetoric devices used in the article I’ll pick or even understanding what it’s talking about, my only true concern is the APA format as I feel I will do it incorrectly and then be knocked points for it. I want over analyze every aspect of the article I pick and supply good analysis of all the quotes and perhaps show where the argument is flawed and also give a counter argument.

Outline

-I will supply a lot of evidence and analysis.

-Add a section explaining where and how the argument is flawed

-Add a counter argument

-Perhaps add a small section at the end on whether or not I agree with what is being said

-Talk about the piece’s effectiveness, is it compelling?

-I will talk about how the argument could have been improved/ what they should have added

-I will make sure all my in-text citations and references are cited in APA

-I will have two additional sources that are reputable

I will finish a few day (at least) before peer review to make it as good as possible

Group work. My group members were Nadine and Korinne

Discuss whether the following statements are examples of hard evidence or constructed arguments. Not all cases are clear-cut.

1. Drunk drivers are involved in more than 50 percent of traffic deaths. Hard evidence
  2. DNA tests of skin found under the victim’s fingernails suggest that the defendant was responsible for the assault. constructive
  3. A psychologist testified that teenage violence could not be blamed on video games. constructive
  4. The crowds at President Trump’s inauguration were the largest on record. Constructive
  5. “The only thing we have to fear is fear itself.” Constructive
  6. Air bags ought to be removed from vehicles because they can kill young children and small-framed adults. (Based on the activities in Lunsford, p. 63) Constructive

Is this plagiarism or not?

1.   Directions:  Read the following scenarios and decide whether it is a case of plagiarism or

not. (Y or N) and explain why.

__Y__ 1. Kyoko needs to write a report on American politics.  She looks up Barack Obama in

Wikipedia and discovers he is the 44th president of the United States.  She includes this

information in her report but doesn’t mention Wikipedia.

Despite it being common knowledge, you must cite all your information.

__Y__2. Tam is writing a paper on a novel for his English class.  Since the whole class is reading

the same book, he doesn’t need to use a citation.

If it is not your work, you must cite where you got your information.

__N__3. Sugi wrote a paper for his European history class last semester and got an A on the

paper. This semester, his Political Science class is addressing some of the same issues that are in

his History paper.  He checks with his professor first who agrees with Sugi, so he uses the

material from his History paper. 

Assuming he used citations in his original paper, he is ok.

_Y_4. Ramiro, Stephan, April, and Chris are working on a group project.  Chris submits his

work and the others suspect that some of it came from the Internet, but it sounds good, so they

submit it.

Don’t expose him, but check to see where he got his information if he didn’t cite anything.

__Y__5. Maria finds a lot of good information for her paper on the Internet.  She carefully

changes the wording and prepares a good paraphrase.  She doesn’t copy anything verbatim.

You have to cite a source even if paraphrasing.

1.   Directions:  Decide whether the information described in each scenario will require

citation of the source (Y or N) and explain why.

__Y__1. You clearly identify the source at the beginning of a paragraph that summarizes the

author’s ideas about teenage drinking.  Since readers will naturally assume all of the ideas in

the paragraphs are from the source, no additional citation is necessary.

Citation needed after every piece of information used.

__Y__2. In your paper on the history of aviation you state the date of the Wright brothers’ first

successful flight at Kitty Hawk.

Did you know that inherently?

__Y__3. In a paper on the civil rights movement you find some general, well-known background

information in an encyclopedia.  It is obviously common knowledge, so you copy the

information and include it in your paper.

Just because you said it was common knowledge doesn’t mean you didn’t look it up. If it 

Was common knowledge, why’d you need an encyclopedia?

__N__4. You ask your mother about the steps she went through in obtaining a bank loan for a

new car. You include this information in your paper.

You can if you want, but you can easily walk into a bank and learn the process yourself.

__Y__5. You skim a 325-page book entitled using the Internet. A major theme throughout the

book is that the Internet is an important technological achievement. You include this in your

Paper.

__Y__6. You find an article that takes the same position you have taken on the subject of gun

control. To save time you summarize in your paper a portion of the argument from the article,

since the author’s ideas are identical to your own.

Is this plagiarism or not?

Directions:  You will find a series of student produced texts based on sources.  Read the

original and then read the student text and decide whether the student has plagiarized.  If so,

how would you correct the problem? In the process of correcting, follow APA style to

demonstrate what the in-text citation should be like and create a References list for them. 

(Excerpts below are from the following text:  Clines, R. H & Cobb, E. R. (2012) Research Writing

Simplified, 7th Edition. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Pearson.)

Plagiarism because the citation is incorrect; only the first initial of the authors should
be included. Also, the ampersand should not be included

1.   Excerpt from page 23 of an article in 2011 by William Ellis entitled “Culture in Transition.”

World problems such as poverty, pollution, war, and hunger are inherent in the current system

of world order based on nation-states and economic competition. They can be solved if people

know and understand one another on a global, grass-roots basis.  By developing people-to-

people linkages irrespective of national borders, we can start to ameliorate global tensions and

Inequities.

Student versions:

Is this plagiarism or not?  Y or N

__Y__William Ellis asserts that world problems such as poverty, pollution, war, and hunger are

inherent in the current system of world order based on nation-states and economic

competition (p. 23).

___Y__Global tensions and inequities can be solved if people begin to help one another on a

grass-roots basis, moving beyond the current world order of economic competition (Ellis 23).

This is cited in MLA

_____Ellis (2011) argues that global problems are often a result of exploitation inherent in

economic competition.  He contends that “grass roots….people-to people linkages irrespective

of national borders” can do much to ease global tensions (p. 23).

_____Economic competition is at the basis of many of the world’s problems (Ellis 23). Only by

seeing ourselves as a single family without the separation of national boundaries can world

tensions begin to be eased.

ecgutierrez