• Explore Their Path

Use this blog to learn about students, faculty, staff, and alumni in your majors of interest. Find Your Major!

• Explore Stories By Majors and Minors

Amie Lu ’20, Switched from Biology to Advertising Major

Profile Photo of Amie Lu with Graduation StoleCurrent Student, Alumni, Faculty, or Staff?: Alumni

Name: Amie Lu

Title: Brand Ambassador

Company / Department: Oliver Space

Major(s), Minor(s), Program(s): Majored in Advertising and was part of the McGrath Scholars

Previous Major(s), Minor(s), Program(s): Biology

What attracted you to your initial major(s) and minor(s)?: I started off with Biology because I was inspired by those in my family and sought to become a pediatrician.

What inspired you to change program(s)?: During my time in community college, I realized that STEM classes didn’t interest me as much as I thought. I also learned that those classes brought on more stress and made me realize I wasn’t as happy, so I looked into the Advertising program upon transferring to USF.

What did you like best about your major(s) and minor(s)?: For Advertising, I enjoyed having professors from the industry teaching us and sharing their experiences as well as working with different peers to learn more about ourselves.

What was most challenging about your major(s) and minor(s)?: Being disciplined and not being closed minded. In the world of Advertising, things can change quickly, just like life.

How did your major(s) and minor(s) prepare you for your career?: The Advertising department did a very good job with creating hands on assignments that would be similar to situations to that of in the actual industry. This allowed me to gain a better understanding of what role I would best fit.

What resources helped you with your exploration journey?: CASA, Student Leadership & Engagement (SLE), Career Services, and CAB. All three helped me better understand what I actually enjoy and what I don’t.

What advice do you have for students exploring majors?: Your first major is not your last. Do what makes you happy.

Bookmark the permalink.