INSPIRATION FROM OUT THE ARCHIVES: Translating a Jorge de Sana poem in honor of Albert Huerta, S.J. & Michael Kotlager, S.J.

6 thoughts on “INSPIRATION FROM OUT THE ARCHIVES: Translating a Jorge de Sana poem in honor of Albert Huerta, S.J. & Michael Kotlager, S.J.”

1. I love how this post interweaves poetry, collections, and the personal impact of the colleagues surrounding us at USF. Father Huerta exposed his students to many great social opportunities with the poets of San Francisco, and was so warm and generous with his time and home. I take solace in knowing many of his books have been absorbed into Gleeson’s collections.

2. Wow. Your article is the news to me that he has passed away. I met him on September 11, 2001, when I was wandering San Francisco, leaving fresh poetry everywhere I finished a poem, that day. Thirteen poems, equalling twenty six pages… some one page… others three… some two… We became friends, then. I was struggling as a poet, having given up my profession as a Paramedic in Oakland to take the same concept to a higher level of prevention… attempting to infuse all I have learned into messages that inspire humanity and encourage that proverbial mile’s walk in another’s shoes. I was homeless, at the time, trading material comfort for the time it takes to explore, understand, and craft words that permeate the membranes of the hardened heart. I am saddened by this discovery. Thank you for this article. RIP, Brother Poet.

3. I went on the website and typed in my dear brother Fr.Michael J.Kotlanger SJ…tomorrow would be his 72nd Birthday and his 40th year as a Jesuit….I was happily surprised to read the nice comments regarding Fr Huerta and Fr Michael Kotlanger…thank you for this !!!

4. Happy belated birthday, Father K! 🙂 I’m so glad to have known your brother, Patricia.

1. Wonderful homage to two extraordinary educators/scholars.
      Fr. Huerta also was part of UCSB summer sessions distinguished faculty teaching in Queretaro Mexico in the late 90s and early 2000s. He received his Ph’d from UCSB. He would have been 75 on December 5, 2018.
      Peace and Love, Raymond Huerta

5. Wonderful homage to two wonderful scholars. Fr. Huerta was also part of a University of California, Santa Bárbara (UCSB)faculty team teaching in the summer session program in Querétaro, Mexico in the late 90s and early 2000s. He would have been 75 on December 5, 2018.
    Peace, Raymond Huerta