Independent field excursion and species account

3/24/2020

Arroyo Verde Park, CA

Latitude: 34-17’15” N
Longitude: 119-13’34” W

No photo description available.

The picture above is faced towards the entrance as if you were to enter the park. The entrance of the park is mostly flat with accommodations to dogs and areas to play for children. Slopes surround the grassy area and provide many trails for hiking and running. The area is mixed with mostly open and shrubby chaparral.

Here is a list of things I found in the park.

Artemisia dracunculus-

Coccinella septempunctata-

Solanum xanti-

Olea europaea-

Baja California Tree Frog, Pseudacris hypochondriaca-

Was in some old concrete ditch with some water in it. It was pretty small and was in somewhat of a canyon-like environment. It was on the side of the park that is often shaded. The rain from the past week must have been helpful. It wasn’t doing much and just moved around the ditch full of water. Pseudacris hypochondriac frequents a variety of habitats and elevations, from sea level to mountains, from grasslands and chaparral, to forests, farmlands, and desert oases. Individuals of varying colors will preferentially select microhabitat substrates that most closely match their individual color (USGS). Mature adults come into breeding condition and move to ponds or ditches where the males call to advertise their fitness to competing males and to females.The call of the Baja California Treefrog is known throughout the world through its wide use as a nighttime background sound in old Hollywood movies(Baja California Treefrog).

I walked around the majority of the park on a partly cloudy late afternoon. This frog was found on the right side of the park that has more shade and has more steep hills. Becuase of these steep hills, there is less foot traffic on these trails. I was surprised to find this in the park. But then again I spend more of my time on the flat area of the park because that is were I go for runs from time to time.

Sources:

“Baja California Treefrog.” OVLC, ovlc.org/baja-california-treefrog/.

Baja California Treefrog (Pseudacris Hypochondriaca) – Species Profile, nas.er.usgs.gov/queries/FactSheet.aspx?SpeciesID=2781.