Personal Birding Trip #4

Date: 4.9.2020

Location: Observed from my backyard in Excelsior District

Time: 10:15am-11:15am

Summary: It’s been raining a lot here so I wanted to wait for a time where I would actually see some birds. First time birding from my backyard and was surprised by how many bird species I saw/heard. There was quite a few bird songs I heard that I’ve never heard before so I hope to actually get a good look at them in the future to ID. I believe I saw a Rufous hummingbird stop by my house for a bit since it was a bright, coppery color and sounded different than the Anna’s hummingbirds that were already near my house. It sounded almost identical to the call on the Sibley guide.

eBird List

View from my home

California scrub jay on top of neighbor’s tree

One thought on “Personal Birding Trip #4

1. Cool – I bet it was a Rufous! The one I filmed in my yard was only there for a day or two 0 haven’t seen it since. But I also noticed they sound very different from Anna’s, both the noise they make flying around, and there territorial diving noise. I haven’t listened carefully yet to compared Allen’s and Rufous, but if they are different enough that could help a lot when you don’t get a good look at the back of a coppery-looking hummingbird!

Glad you have pulled another poor soul into a life of birding!!!