Our traditional thanksgiving is about family gathering, giving thanks for being in each other’s life and celebrating over abundance of food such ask fried turkey, macaroni and cheese, salad, mashed potatoes, veggies, filipino dishes, desserts and anything a family member brought to the table. Our thanksgiving perhaps resembles the first portrait, Norman Rockwell’s “Freedom from Want,” a typical American Thanksgiving tradition.

Thanksgiving with my family is lovely and fun. However, I have changed my ways of celebrating for the past few years. I skipped my family gathering for a simple, quiet and adventure time. Instead of socializing with lots of people, I prefer to spend quality time with my loved one in nature with good food and drinks. My times with family are meaningful but it can be excessive because we always find a way or time to celebrate this, that, every holiday, etc. I love them and I attend as much as I can but in moderation now. I choose which occasion I can miss or not miss. I feel holidays are so overrated now. It’s becoming a routine and kind of tiring so I try to switch it up. For the past years, I would go out of town for Thanksgiving and would spend Christmas with my family. I feel like it works and it is balanced.