Field Blog 2

Date: 2/6/2020

The site we visited was the Redwood Trail. It had a mix of vegetation and was really cool to see. It is very close to the Muir woods area. There was not a cloud in the sky and it was about 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Here is a picture of the environment to gain a better understanding of the environment. 

We saw American robins, Anna hummingbirds, common ravens, a gull, fox sparrows, and wrens. We mainly say the flight patterns of a hummingbird which was in a particular zig-zag motion and dives in the air. Then we moved on to a road in the middle of the forest where we encountered redtail hawk, red stellar jay, woodpecker, Turkey vultures, song sparrow, a peregrine and possibly goldfinches. The most exciting thing I saw is the vultures and peregrine using the heat convection to rise while falling which was dope to learn about in the lecture this week and I discuss more of it in detail in the species account. I spotted the woodpecker not by my sight but my ears first. I heard this knock knock knock noise and was like what is this? I looked around and took this picture of the bird. It was going off on the tree and looking and then it flew away after everyone came to see it into a higher tree.

The last place we went to was the Muir Beach overlook.

We saw Stellar jays, turkey vulture, anna’s hummingbird, western bluebird, pygmy nuthatch, common raven, and white-crowned sparrow. A number of the type of bird seen is in the bird list below. The weather was cold and sunny and we saw a lot of birds. The turkey vultures were hugging the coast and coming very close to us. We also saw a whale which was very interesting to see even if we are only looking out for birds. This was my first time in the field and getting used to the binoculars was challenging at first and still looking forward to practicing with them on the next field class.

Species Account: Peregrine Falcon

My moment with this dope bird that we got only a glimpse of since it was so far away. It looked cool with its slim, unslotted wings. The Falcon is seen all around the world. We saw it in a heat convention belt that it was using to rise into the sky while falling which is such a cool idea. How can you be falling and rising at the same time? It’s simple you rise more than you fall. I also listened to a recording of the bird and it sounds like a cool voice. I also think I might have seen similar birds in Los Angeles when I was in a high rise I saw some birds on a building. They may have been looking for pigeons or other small creatures. 

Common Name is: Peregrine Falcon

Species: Falco Peregrinus

Family: Falconidae

Order: Falconiformes 

Observations: 543,124

Biogeographical region: Global, seen in every region

https://ebird.org/checklist/S64183502

BIRD LIST

SITE 1

40 Robins

6 Anna’s Hummingbird

4 Wern Tit 

2 Common Ravens

1 Gull

1 Fox Sparrow

Site 2

1 Red Tail Hawk

1 Red Stellar Jay

1 Wood Pecker

3 Turkey Vultures

1 Peregrine Falcon

1 Song Sparrow

4 Golden Finches

Site 3

2 Stellar Jay

3 Turkey Vulture 

4 Anna’s Hummingbird 

1 Western Blue Bird

1 Pygmy Nuthatch 

1 Common Raven 

3 White Crown