Meet Our Spring USF in DC Fellows!

This Spring’s USF in DC cohort has begun their semester-long community-engaged learning  in our nation’s capitol where they will be engaging in public service internships across the Beltway alongside a rigorous academic schedule. This semester, our students have the unique opportunity to live, learn, explore all that Washington, D.C.  has to offer. Read on to meet our 2022 cohort and learn where they will intern.

Anisa Alazraie
Politics ‘22
United States House Foreign Affairs Committee
Craig Newmark Scholar 

I’ve been looking forward to the DC experience since my first semester at USF and now, as a graduating senior, I know USF has prepared me for this chance to get to know myself as a professional. Being here is challenging the best way and I can feel all the moments leading up to this one converging as I take this city and the future into my hands. 

Katherine Barrie
Politics ‘22
Monument Advocacy
Craig Newmark Scholar

“As a legislative fellow with a lobbying firm I’m excited to learn more about legislative politics on the national level. I’m also looking forward to learning more about balancing client needs and policy makers decisions and how legislative politics can impact corporations and nonprofits in the food, agricultural, and health policy space. 

Camille Batiste
International Studies ‘22
Smithsonian – Office of International Relations
Craig Newmark Scholar, Betty Blakley Scholar

My position as Global Projects Intern with the Smithsonian Office of International Relations increases my passion for the diffisuion of knowledge. I look forward to engaging in international exchange programs that promote collaboration, sustainability, and the preservation of cultural heritage. 

Megan Commers
International Studies ‘22
Public Defender Service
Craig Newmark Scholar

I’m very excited and honored to be involved with the Public Defender Service and to contribute to their mission of providing zealous legal representation for indigent communities in the district of Columbia. 

Jehieli Luevanos
Politics and Environmental Studies ‘22
Hispanic Federation of America
Craig Newmark Scholar

I’m very excited to be working with Hispanic FEderation and work on federal policy to help advance and empower the Hispanic community. I look forward to using the education and skills set I’ve learned at USF in my day to day work this semester!

Caley Medina
Politics ‘22
Congressman Alan Lowenthal (CA-47 D)
Craig Newmark Scholar

Working as an intern in Congressman Lowenthal’s office is incredibly exciting. I’ve always been interested in legislative politics, so attending policy briefings and reporting on bills circulating through the House has been wonderful!

Interested in becoming a McCarthy Fellow? Apply by March 1st here.

Hispanic Federation of AmericalobbyingMcCarthy FellowsMonument AdvocacypoliticsPublic Defender ServiceSmithsonianstudent leadersUSF in DC

Leo T. McCarthy Center • February 3, 2022