Incite Change, Stand Up

Imani Im, a rising senior majoring in Critical Diversity Studies with minors in Communication Studies and Gender and Sexuality Studies shares her experience becoming an Equity Intern. After studying abroad in Morocco, she found passion in working with students after teaching English to youth for a semester. This led her to apply for the Equity Interns program where she now works at Dolores Huerta Elementary and draws strength from cultural and community relationships of the McCarthy Center.

My name is Imani Im and in the fall I will be entering my final year at USF with a major in Critical Diversity studies and minors in Communication Studies and Gender and Sexuality studies. If you were to tell my freshly high-school graduate self three years ago that I would be nearing the end of my college career interning at a school and working with kids, I would likely be shocked. I would likely be even more shocked to hear about how much I am enjoying it. I never envisioned myself working with and loving working with kids so much. In high school, I worked at various summer camps, but admittedly never loved it. However, something changed when I studied abroad last fall. I traveled to Morocco where I got to teach English to kids of many different grade levels. Learning how to communicate and connect with people across different ages, walks of life and language barriers was so special. I loved coming to their school every day and being met with such eagerness and earnestness to learn. 

My wonderful experience teaching while abroad largely motivated me to apply to the Equity Interns program here in San Francisco. I was also drawn to this internship because I want to learn more about and be involved with programs and places such as the McCarthy Center and the YMCA who do work around community engagement and care. As an Equity Intern, I get to spend a few days a week onsite in the Mission working at Dolores Huerta Elementary. Thus far, I have been with the second graders and am already so attached to each and every one of them. 

As an Equity Intern, I also get to learn from other McCarthy Center staff who have taught us about cultural humility and antiracism and the history of some site placements such as The Fillmore/Western Addition neighborhood. I have found that getting the historical context for the work we do to be super valuable, in addition to being guided by critical points of reflection such as how our positionally informs how we show up in the classroom. It is also important for me to see myself reflected in the McCarthy Center staff and their valuable experiences and interests  they share with us. As I think about nearing the end of my undergraduate college career, I want to be in a position where the work I do reflects what I care about.

Last month, I was put on interim suspension by the University along with 25 other students because my passion for social justice that calls me to advocate for an end to genocide is not aligned with what our administration deems just. Despite this, I have been allowed to continue as an Equity Intern and for that I am grateful. With the title of Equity Intern, I feel as though it is only right that I continue to incite change, motivate students of all ages, and stand up for what I believe in.

Meet the complete cohort of the 2024 Equity Interns here. 

Equity InternLeo McCarthy centerLTMCpoliticsstudy abroadusfcaYMCA of San Francisco

llombre • June 21, 2024

Previous Post

Next Post