During this project, I will go off of Sanskriti and what she says because she is the one with the declared major. I am not too sure what her major is but we will probably be doing everything together because she knows people in her field and I do not. We’ll probably split up the work when we do the interviews and when I do more research on her major. We can both edit our own work and then after we are done we will go over it together and fix whatever is needed. Overall, Sanskriti will lead this project because I am undecided in my major.
Marin and moana
Global warming is becoming a big issue around the world. People today have/are ignoring the fact that our earth is slowly changing for the worst. For example, lately, our climate change has been so severe that the polar vortex shifted towards the Northeren states of the US.
The image we chose is plain and simple. It is an hour glass in which the top is the cold frozen artic and the bottom of the hour glass is nice and sunny. The top of the hour glass is slowly dripping into the bottom (the hot area) and the caption is “act now before it’s too late”. Pretty much what it’s saying is that if we do not act now, the climate change caused by global warming will be critical and we will eventually be living in the cold.
In this essay, there is a lot that we have to accomplish. The key features that seem specific to this video essay is the fact that we have to go out into the community and interview people, we have to teach and discuss our experiences. In a normal essay you write about your experiences but in this one, we are talking about it. The three main requirements for this essay is that we have and cite three sources: a textbook, scholarly source, and the interview.
Quote: Samoa, tula’i ma sisi ia lau fu’a, lou pale lea;
Vaai i na fetu o lo’o ua agiagia ai;
Le faailoga lea o Iesu na maliu ai mo Samoa Oi
Samoa e, uu mau lau pule ia faavavau.
Meaning: Samoa, arise and raise your banner, your crown;
Look at those stars that are appealing;
This is the sign that Jesus died for Samoa.
Samoa, hold your authority forever.
Google translation: Samoa, arise and raise your banner, your crown; Look at those stars that are appealing; This is the sign that Jesus died for Samoa. Samoa, hold your authority forever.
It is spot on.
- constructed argument: 31% of drunk drivers are involved in traffic deaths — US department of Transportation
- hard evidence
- constructed argument: American Psychological Association suggest that there is a link between violence among kids and video games
- constructed argument: President Trump did not have the largest crowd size at his inauguration — factcheck.org
- constructed argument: FDR gave a speech and stated “the only thing we have to fear is fear itself”. It is solely based upon opinion.
- Constructed argument: According to NBCnews.com, about 15,000 lives have been saved by airbags in the last twenty years.
- Yes: because she does not give credit to wikipedia
- Yes: tam doesn’t use citation
- no: He checked with his professor to see if it is okay to use information from his last paper
- Yes: They use information straight from the internet without citing
- no: She paraphrases and does not copy
- no: Clearly identified the source at the beginning
- yes: it is a fact from the internet so therefore you have to cite
- yes: Have to give credit to the encyclopedia
- no: this person is gathering information on their own, and it did not come from the internet
- yes: give credit to the book
- yes: Because they paraphrased the article, they still have to give credit.
This photo was taken in 2015 when the Ebola outbreak hit Africa. In this photo, there is a five year old girl who is being man handled by paramedics dressed in hazmats suits and they are taking her in the ambulance because she has the disease. In the surrounding area, you can notice that there are many people just watching, their faces seem to be lifeless. It seems as if they are used to this type of situation that is happening. Then, I noticed the people in the hazmat suits. One is aggressively taking the little girl and another looks like he is “sanitizing” the area.
This photo is an argument and an awareness post. This photographer is trying to argue that there was a big crisis going on in Africa and they are spreading awareness about what is happening. I thought the photographer did a good job because it captures that perfectly. The photo is taken in a low income area, and its just a perfect setting. This argument uses ethos because it is reliable. The photographer is at the site taking shots of real life action. It also uses pathos because we feel a type of sadness when we see this photo — the photographer wants us to feel sorry for the people in Africa and that goal is accomplished. As for logos, they are persuading us with real life figures, proving to us that there is an ongoing issue with widespread sicknesses.