Tiffany Yang, Program Director, smiling by a waterfall

We are thrilled to welcome a new member of the MSEM community, Tiffany Yang. She has a unique work background and a passion for the environment – aligning with our program and student interests. Her role as the Program Manager will be a huge asset to the team and we look forward to having her at USF. We had the pleasure of having a Q&A with Tiffany to learn more about her and hear what she is looking forward to in the program, check it out below!

Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I grew up in Southern California (about 30 miles east of LA) and got my undergrad degree from UC Santa Cruz in Environmental Studies, with a minor in Education. I was active in the orientation community and led tours, academic advising, and student-centered programs in my time there. When I graduated, I spent 3 years in AmeriCorps non-profit programs: 1 year with City Year- serving at a high school in Los Angeles (Watts neighborhood) where I mentored high school students in attendance, behavior, and academics; then served 2 years with Education Outside- at an elementary school in Daly City teaching science in the school garden. From there, I went on to join the administrative team as an office manager for an organic produce warehouse and distributor in the city, called Veritable Vegetable. Most recently, came from Galileo Learning, a company that runs close to 70 STEM-based summer camps throughout the county (SoCal, Bay Area, Seattle, Denver, Chicago) where I led the operations (think: communications, data, process and resources) for their Recruiting Team, which hired early-career and educators to work at their summer camps. In my spare time, I love going on walks around the city, visiting my family in SoCal, trying new foods and recipes, and drinking boba!

What about the MSEM program spoke to you when joining the team?

I am so glad to join the MSEM program firstly, because of the close-knit community it provides. It feels like I am joining a community of like-minded peers that wants to become change-makers in society– and I love that! What also speaks to me is the applied aspect of this program. The professional world today can be complicated especially when looking at it from the environmental perspective, but the MSEM degree helps graduates become leaders in environmental management and improve environmental action through business and government roles.

What are you most looking forward to in this new role at USF?

I’m looking forward to becoming a resource to the MSEM and USF community, to collaborating  and learning from each other, and to helping the MSEM program grow!

What aspects of our environment are most important to you?

I think anything to do with public environmental access is most important to me. Anything to do with public access to nature (parks, national parks, beaches, community gardens, etc.) where anyone–regardless of their income or where they live –can have easy access. Secondly, I care deeply about environmental education at an early age. Emphasizing natural sciences in schools, giving kids time to learn from the environment and natural world around them, investing in public environmental interpretation – all of these are ways we can help youth develop understanding our natural world and create a future where everyone is an advocate for our collective environmental health, no matter where they grow up or end up in life.

Do you have anything else you want to share with the MSEM students?

I’m here as a resource to you, and we’re all a resource to one another. If you have any questions or feedback about anything related to the program– I am here for it! I will be your advocate and am open ears to any ways we can make the program (or the world) better! I’m still learning the ins and outs of the program (and make it a goal to always be learning) so if you have any knowledge to share, please reach out. I’ll be setting up my calendar soon if you need to book anything with me, but for now, feel free to send me an email tyang46@usfca.edu. I’m looking forward to meeting you!

From all of us in the MSEM program, welcome! Be sure to say hello and introduce yourself if you see Tiffany on campus.