0

August 31st Freewriting

The first thing that popped in my head was my senior soccer season. This is something that will live in my memory for a long time and is very painful. It is the most recent thing that I think really affected me. I read over the literacy narrative suggestions and when I saw challenge that I failed it hit deep. My senior season was a joke and I have plenty of regrets and anger associated with it. It started out terribly, it had a brief moment of happiness, and then utter heartbreak. I don’t want to spoil the story if I end up writing about it so I’ll leave it at that. Sorry not sorry

The other major thing that popped into my head was a class I took senior year. It was a dual enrollment college course at my high school and it was easily the hardest class I ever took. Again it ended with me failing. At the time I was pissed because it was the lowest grade I had ever received and I felt a little wronged. But as time went on I realized that wasn’t the case and I learned to accept the experience and grow from it. God that class was hard.

I read through some suggestions and one of them was about learning a language. Well I learned French in high school (all four years) and loved the class to death (except freshman year). The teacher was amazing (besides freshman year) and Madame Barley is the GOAT of teaching languages. I think the best part was the class atmosphere, the people in the class and the teacher were amazing and we were a group that really enjoyed being around each other. Oh and I guess we learned a language too (some of us learned, Devin just kinda vibed). The reason why this isn’t something I’d want to tell a story on is because there isn’t a big challenge or struggle. Not gonna lie, the four years were pretty basic and I never really struggled. Even when my last term was online, it was not a challenge. So ya French is cool

Another cool suggestion said a play. For background, I was a sporty guy and never once thought about doing a play. Just my luck in AP lit my teacher forced us to do a play at the end of the year. Well I was like this is new and just accepted it because my friends also were forced to do it. Honestly this showed the power of being open minded and not hating something because of what you first think of it. Looking back it was a great experience because I got closer with people, didn’t look like a dumbass on the night we performed. Also I looked damn good in my French knight costume (baguette and a sword what could be better). For a month I had to learn my lines, learn how to act because the theatre kids in the class judged me 24/7. But it was a new experience and not a bad thing. Oh gotta go back to class now. Peace

Outline: 

First Slide: Before season hopes (Some soccer picture from right before senior year)

Going into senior year I was not the most optimistic, but I knew there was some hope we could bounce back from a horrendous junior season and potentially make the playoffs. We had a new coach and he appeared to be better than the last one.

Second Slide: Summer workouts/pre season scrimmages (picture of me in that glorious scrimmage)

Well the first sign of trouble was summer workouts. People slacked off and gave very little effort. Team chemistry was brutal and a couple fights broke out. We played a small school in a scrimmage and barely won, then we played a slightly better school and got destroyed. Wasn’t looking good

Third slide: Tryouts (maybe)

Tryouts showed a massive problem that would persist the whole season. First off I was a little stuck up because I was a senior and had nothing to play for. I still tried, but didn’t give near 100%. Second off a big fight broke out the last day of tryouts between a specific player and some poor soul. This would continue the whole season.

Fourth slide: First few games (an amazing picture of me riding the bench)

My coach made a questionable decision to focus on younger players and didn’t play the seniors as much. I was not his favorite because I was a two sport athlete and occasionally missed practice for cross country. We got killed in our first few games because team chemistry was a joke and (subjective) he didn’t play the best players.

Fifth slide: There’s Hope (picture after we won a game)

We won our first two conference games and suddenly things looked bright. Coach actually played me the full match and we won 2-0 in both. Coincidence, I don’t think so. The team wasn’t killing each other, so I think it was a win.

Sixth Slide: The start of falling apart (i’ll find a picture that fits)

Well practices started to get heated after those two wins. Fights broke out and the team had clear divisions. We started losing and team morale plummeted.

Seventh Slide: Hope dies (some sad picture)

We were struggling, but had a chance at the playoffs if we won critical games. We didn’t, we choked and we lost any chance at the playoffs. We lost 5-1 on senior night and I had one game left in my soccer career

Eighth Slide: Heartbreak (that sad picture at SEHS)

My final game came against our rivals South Eugene High. We couldn’t make the playoffs, but we could beat our rivals for the first time in five years. We played a good game in the first half. But mistakes were made and we lost 2-0. The worst part wasn’t losing, it was the coach pulling all the seniors in our last career game to let the younglings play. I was royally pissed (still am) and I acted like an ass. After the game I stormed off the field never to see that team again. I skipped the team banquet and kept my jerseys.

Ninth Slide: Looking back (i’ll come up with something)

Well I acted like an ass, didn’t try to fix problems I just complained and sat pissed off, and I should’ve at least tried to fix our problems. It is a learning experience because I played my heart out and it didn’t matter. I know I could’ve tried to fix the off field issues that plagued us. But I didn’t and I will live with that. I think it is a good lesson about how to deal with struggles and a learning experience.

rjduncan