Alumni Spotlight- Angela Reed; Master of Public Health with a concentration in Health Policy Leadership

Angela Reed; Sacramento MPH Graduate

We, at the Sacramento Campus, always love to hear what our Alumni are up to! Angela Reed is a USF Sacramento Campus MPH graduate and shared with us what she has been doing since graduation and how her USF degree has helped her in her career!

1. Tell us about yourself, what degree you earned, and what you have been doing since you graduated?

My name is Angela “Angie” Reed. I earned my Master of Public Health (MPH) with a concentration in Health Policy Leadership in December 2018. Since graduating, I have accepted a position with the California Department of Public Health as the Program Lead for the Alzheimer’s Disease Program. The Alzheimer’s Disease Program is a grant program for research into the causes and treatment of Alzheimer’s disease, including strategies for coping and prevention of the disease. The mission of the Alzheimer’s Disease Program is to relieve the human burden and economic costs associated with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias. As the Program Lead, I provide leadership, organization, planning, development, implementation, coordination, and technical programmatic and contractual oversight of the Alzheimer’s Disease Program’s on-going activities.

1. How has your USF degree helped you in your career and life?

My degree has taught me the practical elements of public health and provided me with the tools and skills necessary to successfully pursue a career in public health. Additionally, pursuing and completing my degree has given me more confidence in my abilities and has provided me with a sense of personal satisfaction. I know that I have what it takes to start something and finish it successfully.

1. What is the most exciting part of your job?

The most exciting part of my job is the opportunity to collaborate with highly skilled public health professionals and knowing that my work has an impact on the health of others.

1. What inspires you and why?

I am inspired by people who use their knowledge, skills, and passion to make a difference in the world. Individuals that are motivated to leave this world a better place than how they found it motivates me to do the same.

1. What advice would you like to give to students?

My advice for students when pursuing your degree/career is to:

• Show up
  • Work hard
  • Have a good attitude

When I am overwhelmed, focusing on these three basic concepts helps to keep me on track. They sound simple, but it is surprising how important they are to a person’s success in both work and life.

1. Anything else you would like to share?

I would like to thank my professors at USF for their dedication and for sharing their experience, expertise, and wisdom with their students. They embody what inspires me (see #4).

cwilson10