Let’s Prevent Food Waste: A Cooking Series – Guacamole
Did you buy a bunch of avocados at the same time that are all ripe now? Do you have avocados that might go bad if you don’t use them soon? An easy way to prevent this food waste is by making guacamole using this recipe!
- Avocados (however many you have)
- Red Onion
- Lime/Lemon Juice
- Salt & Pepper
Optional: Other seasonings – garlic salt/powder, cayenne powder, Cilantro
- Gather your ingredients! Eyeball the amount based on how many avocados you use.
- Dice your onion and tomato, and cut the avocado into cubes in a separate bowl.
- Mash your avocado with a fork or mashing tool. Then add your onion and tomato and fold in.
- Add your lime or lemon juice, and salt and pepper along with any desired spices.
- Refrigerate & Enjoy! Eat with chips or use as a topping on tacos, burritos, toast, or any number of other recipes.
- Don’t forget to compost the avocado skin and pits you’re not using!
- Leave the avocado pit in the guacamole if you’re storing it in the fridge to make it last longer and prevent the avocado from browning.
- Compost your food scraps to prevent methane emissions in landfills, and even make your own compost for your garden or plants to improve soil quality!