Date:  04/29/20

Location:

Hidden Valley Pkwy, Corona US-CA 33.89817, -117.53110

Site Description:

The terrain was similar in certain respects and I took a new path today. I went through the first part of the park as usual. As a result, the terrain was an open grassland with low cut grass and one very large deciduous tree along with a large fence used for baseball. There was a hillside at the park with shrubbery and some coniferous and deciduous trees. However, this is where the similarities end. The new path I went on consisted of walking along a large hillside with lots of shrubbery and bushes, with a few low hanging trees mixed in here and there. I walked along the street on the sidewalk so there were bushes and shrubbery on one side everywhere I went with cement to the other side. The key bird species I observed today was Anna’s hummingbird. I observed many of them along the treelines darting around quickly and from tree to shrub. I just really enjoy the brightness and vibrancy of anna’s pinkish-red and aqua-green.

Anna's Hummingbird - Kyle Blaney

Species account:

Today I chose to pursue the elusive red-tailed hawk. Seeing as I only was able to observe it from a distance, I cannot say much about how I found it, other than the usual. I was looking upwards in search of soaring birds and came across a trio of hawks, which was a bit of an unusual sighting. I looked through my binoms to confirm what I had seen, by taking note of the tinged-red of the tail of the hawk rather than it being a red-shouldered hawk, which I often get it confused with. However, the patterning and coloring allowed me to distinguish the birds. They soared upwards, riding the warm currents of ari still in the air. Red-tailed hawks generally are found soaring highly elevated in the air, unless they are perched. They generally perch on the edges of trees, telephone poles, or even street lights. They have red-orangish tails and pale undersides accentuated by dark black marks across their chests. Being hawks, they have very broad, long wings used for soaring. Red-tailed hawks generally feed on small mammals such as rabbits or rodents. They can also be known to feed on birds, reptiles and fish, all relatively small-sized.

Red-tailed Hawk - Jonathan Eckerson

Narrative:

The weather was cooler than it has normally been these past few days as it changes to summer, but it was still hot, and also very sunny. I went out later than normal this time, around 5:53pm. I just wanted to see if any different birds would show up at different times of the day. However, I didn’t really see any new particularly fascinating species. I also decided to take a different route and go farther than I normally go, while still maintaining social distancing guidelines. Along the route, I did happen to see a larger number of Anna’s hummingbirds than I was accustomed to. I really enjoy the vibrancy and uniqueness of Anna’s pinkish-red and aquq-green colors. I also decided to take my dogs with me on the stroll, as they are generally well-behaved and needed a walk. Overall, a great birding experience that sadly lacked any major findings.

E-bird link:

https://ebird.org/checklist/S68085347