Student Profile: Hassan Chadad

CS Graduate Student
Hassan Chadad, MSCS ’19

Hassan Chadad is a graduating Master’s student from Lebanon. As a tutor in the CS Labs, Hassan helps students at all levels to master key CS topics and help them grow as programmers. Hassan has web development experience and is passionate about the education sector, building games and systems that help educate others.

What was the deciding factor to pursue your MSCS at USF?

Pursuing my masters degree in computer science was my top goal but I wasn’t sure where should I do it. First, I chose the United States as my target destination because it is the mother of technology, then I chose the bay area because it is the capital of technology in the United States. But the main reason why I chose USF to pursue my MSCS was because the CS faculty consists of distinguished researchers and accomplished experts that brings real world computing experience into the classroom. Meeting distinguished researchers and experts was enough to motivate me and inspire me to get my degree and change the world.

Tell us a bit about your current role. What is the favorite part of your job or program?

Both my roles are teaching roles. My favorite part of my jobs is seeing how stressed and lost the students are when they come for help and how confident and happy they become after helping them. I chose those jobs because I really love my major and I want every student to love it. I want to help every student overcome the fear of programming and writing algorithms because when they do, they will see how interesting and exciting the major is.

What has been the most surprising part of your career/ studies since starting at USF?

When I started my studies at USF, I was surprised how modest the professors are. I still remember the first day when Professor David Wolber came and sit next to me and we started talking, I didn’t know he was the Department Chair so I was surprised and impressed how modest he is. I know this would seem normal but in my country that doesn’t happen, that’s why it really meant to me. I also was surprised how the professors allow the students to work with them on research. I really liked the idea because it helps students work on fields that interest them; also, it breaks the routine that the student is living in and builds a strong relationship between the professor and the student, so that the student would feel more confident and free to do what s/he feels more interested into.

If you could change one thing about the world, what would it be?

My dream is to erase discrimination from the whole world. It really irritates me how people discriminate by gender, skin color, or physical appearance. I have a physical disability and I got bullied a lot when I was a child, it really hurts to feel that you are bullied and discriminated. Bullying and discrimination are very correlated and I think if we raised the new generations wisely, we can at least control the discrimination and decrease the bullying incidents.

What is one piece of advice you would give a current CS student?

My advice to CS students is to stay close to the professors and try to learn from them as much as you can. Each professor has his/her own life experience that would help you make wise decisions and build your future. Work hard and don’t give up. Computer science is a challenging major but it is not hard. Challenge yourself and don’t limit your goals because your major is unlimited.