0

11/18

It is January 17, 2005, and three cadets are training to become police detectives. The sergeant
decides to test if they are skillful at recognizing a suspect. He shows the first cadet a picture for five
seconds and then hides it. Then he says, “That was your suspect, how would you recognize
him?”
“That’s easy, answers the cadet. “We would find him fast because he only has one eye.
The sergeant thinks a minute and then answers, “Well that’s because the picture I showed you
is a profile. It shows only a side view.” He can’t believe the cadet had given him such a
ridiculous answer, but he goes on to the second cadet. Flashing the picture for five seconds to
him. Again, he asks, “That was your suspect, how would you recognize him?”
The second cadet smiles and says, “It would be easy to catch because he has only one ear!”
The police sergeant shakes his head in disbelief. Then angrily responded, “What’s the matter
with you two? Of course, only one eye and one ear are showing, it’s a picture of his profile! Is
that the best answer you can come up with?!”
Extremely frustrated at this point, he shows the picture to the 3rd cadet and in a very testy voice
asks, “This is your suspect. How would you recognize him?” He quickly adds, “Think hard
before giving me a stupid answer.”
The cadet looks at the picture intently for a moment. Then she says, “The suspect wears contact
lenses.”
The sergeant is speechless. He goes to his office checked the suspect’s file on his computer and
comes back. He is beaming. “It’s true! The suspect does indeed wear contact lenses. Tell us how
you were able to make such an astute observation!
“It was easy,” said the cadet. “He can’t wear glasses because he only has one eye and one ear.”
I found I and Shuaitong You have similar idea. We both don’t have same experience with the author , but we could understand her. As International students, we know how that feel. Since the culture and everything between China and America is not same, getting used to it may take a bit of your time. However, this two can coexist from my perspective. It doesn’t mean that you have to do things in a different way when you are living in a culture that’s not your own. I still try to eat Chinese food and make Chinese friends. In addition, sometimes living in a country where it has a diverse culture or community may influence a person positively.
 I have lived in China for 15 years and then came to the United States to go to school. I also tried to integrate into the environment, but it does not mean that I have to give up my own culture. In my heart, the two can coexist. I eat Chinese food, dressed like a Chinese, but I also listen to American music, I also accept steak. I speak English, but I have many Chinese friends. I don’t know why many communities don’t accept mixed-race. I think that half of the blood flowing in a country is a country. This is a very proud thing. It is also a happy thing that a child can receive the influence of two different cultures at the same time.

yshao1