Here I Am: Atlanta, Georgia

Here I Am! In Atlanta, Georgia. In a week, Atlanta has given me lots of new experiences. A Snow Day, the CNN Headquarters, and getting to see and study at Morehouse College. I have never been excused from school because of inclement weather in the form of snow. I’ve dealt with Tsunami threats (which people do not take too seriously in the islands where I’m from), storms, flooding, and the Sonoma County fires in California. Although my school (University of San Francisco) was not burned in the fires, the air quality became terrible and every morning when I woke up, I could smell smoke in the air. The smell of smoke reminded me of barbecues that people have on the beach in Hawaii, but the fires also resulted in school cancellations across the Bay. While it doesn’t snow in San Francisco, it definitely doesn’t snow on O’ahu. I spent the Snow Day by eating at Waffle House for the first time (I don’t know if these exist in California, but they certainly don’t have Waffle Houses in Hawaii). I enjoy breakfast food, so Waffle House gets a 10/10. I went there with some of my program cohorts, which I’m slowly feeling more comfortable around. I’m happy and surprised to have found such supportive and hilarious friends here. I didn’t think I would find friendships this easily or quickly, but there is respect and an effort is made to understand one another. I’m normally introverted and shy but once I feel comfortable, I’m more open and I can focus on engaging the people around me. I gain more and more appreciation for the people in my program every day. We are 13 brave and caring young adults making our way through the world and guided by our own hearts. I’m proud to call these 12 my friends and family for the next 3 months, and honored to travel with them.