Selfie, Youth, Society and Education

Dr. Joy Lopez and Dr.Browning Neddeau’s conversations on some educational projects in schools has made me go selfie friendly!The Marriam Webmaster’s Dictionary defines Selfie as an image that involves oneself (the person could be alone or he/she could part of a group) and is taken by oneself by using a digital camera for posting on social networks.(Merriam Webmaster.com, 2019). This definition is important to reflect on selfie in education. I think the given definition of selfie is not static. it is dynamic. And can be even expanded.Most of the time I have tried to take selfie alone or with others I was enraged against my phone and somehow against myself! “Gosh, this phone is out-fashioned. It takes bad selfies.”.. “Gosh, Selfie is hard to take, how one could take his/her own picture, holding a phone and looking at him/herself?” “Am I not becoming narcissist”! Gosh, Selfie is not good at all, it makes me a bad looking guy”! these reactions did not let selfie friendly before I listen to Browning initiative of making Selfie as a digital learning tool.

I think this occurred because I have not taken enough time to reflect on the importance of selfie in the modern learning. Today, I did not yet have an opportunity to read more on what Dr. Browning wrote in the chapters where he reflects on the usage of selfie in digital learning.

The present reflection resonates Browning’s idea by which selfies can help in digital learning. Still I think selfie has a larger implication larger than taking photos for oneself. Browning insights in using selfie in educational technology could be extend to using selfie in different aspects. It could be in the areas of political and social engagement, in medical research, for personal and social encounter. With political and social engagement, I think of youth engagement in social justice and ecology movements. For example, each involved youth could use selfie media to convey a message either by, taking a selfie and post it on Websites or on a social media. If every young person does such a selfie, I guess it would be a strong message to shake mind of political leaders in matters such as climate change politics and immigration issues. Selfie can also be used in medical field. Some diseases can be diagnosed as the patient take selfie with concerned organs and send them to doctors. This is already performed through medical apps as it is used in telemedicine.

Yet there is a need to have a certain ethics in ways in which selfie is used by youth. It is very risky taking selfie while driving or when one is standing in a dangerous zone such unprotected zoos or high altitudes without barriers. As I think of selfies as an educational tool, need is also to instruct youth the pros and cons of using selfies. These considered, the usefulness of selfie for youth need to be more explored. Selfies should not be limited to images. it is, an art to learn as Veleria Safranova recommends in The New York Times (Safranova, 2019). Selfie could be in different forms such sounds (audio selfie). It could be individual or collective. These considered, selfies could be digital tools that youth could use and be engaged with their lessons and society in a constructive and enjoyable pedagogy.

Reference:
– Dr. Browning Neddeau & Dr. Joy Lopez. Recorded Session. https://usfca.zoom.us/recording/play/VFA4H0jRnX_EO_T2h28GG8BlOkuVItvXH5YBnuDu5gn7UNrDg0AZlzGtOojvQut.
– Valerie Safranova, “How To Find Your Better Side and Take a Selfie” The New York Times, February, 2019. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/13/style/how-to-find-my-good-side.html.
– https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/selfie.