About the Major of Business Management
The business management major can help us to master all the skills that are related to humans in a business environment. It deals with individual behaviors in a workplace, such as emotions, cultural differences and communication, team spirit building, leadership development, and critical thinking skills, etc. It can also help us to understand many aspects of a business and how they are related or function in a business organization. As the Department Chair for management major in the University of San Francisco Linda Henderson describes, this major concentrates on the ways of the organizational behavior and enables the learners to get a sound understanding of how a company works and how they play their roles in a company (“New Management Major Building Bridges Through the Human Side of Business”). A study also shows that the professional skills people learned from this major enabled them to have better job and promotion opportunities in the business. No matter where the graduates worked, the business management skills could help them to advance further in their professional fields (Menez 18). Meantime, no matter what stages we are in our careers or what fields we are in, we can all benefit from learning in business management. The benefits can include below aspects.
1. When we are limited by our working experience or cannot go further in our career development path, the business management skills will help us to broaden our business vision and sphere, and get us to move further (“5 Reasons to Study Business Management”).
2. When we cannot catch up with the fast advancement of technology or adapt ourselves quickly to those changes in the business environment, we can find new directions in our career development from learning business management (“5 Reasons to Study Business Management”).
3. Learning the business management knowledge will help us to have a comprehensive understanding of how different sections of a company function together to achieve the utmost business performance, which is especially useful to those who want to start their own businesses or get a management position in a company (“5 Reasons to Study Business Management”).
4. Learning the business management knowledge will help us to have a systematic understanding of what we are currently doing in the business. Through learning the theoretical knowledge, like business strategies, concepts, or case studies of best practices, we can better understand how the business decisions are made (“5 Reasons to Study Business Management”).
5. Learning the business management knowledge will help us to build better interpersonal relationships in the business, with colleagues, customers, superiors or subordinates, etc. With the professional skills of business management, we will be more comfortable in communication or interaction with individuals from different cultural backgrounds or with different values. The meaningful interactions with our peers can make us grow, too (“5 Reasons to Study Business Management”).
Moreover, for this major, there are many valuable courses designed, and we can focus more on what we are not quite confident. The courses may include “Power and Influence, Difficult Conversations and Negotiations, Global and Virtual Project Teams, Personal Brand and Career Development, Managerial Decision Making,” and Emotional and Cultural Intelligence, etc. (“New Management Major Building Bridges Through the Human Side of Business”). For example, the course Emotional and Cultural Intelligence can help us to have a thorough understanding of our own perspectives towards world and people as well as our emotional intelligence and our different cultures (“New Management Major Building Bridges Through the Human Side of Business”). With these professional training on business management, we can better understand how we behave in the business workplaces. In an interview with one of senior management personnel in a world-famous company, he told that “the business management skills will be very helpful for you when you return to your home country to find a job after graduation from the university. Big trans-national corporations always prefer those talents who have a learning experience in business management and usually offer better positions and salaries to the graduates who possess professional business management knowledge.” Therefore, the business management major will benefit not only our current careers but also our future development.
Menez, Norma. “Tracer Study of the Masters in Business Administration (MBA) Graduates from 2008-2012.” Asia Pacific Journal of Education, Arts and Sciences. Vol. 1, No. 1. Mar. 2014. Web. 6 Nov. 2018.
“New Management Major Building Bridges Through the Human Side of Business.” University of San Francisco School of Management. 3 Aug. 2017. Web. 6 Nov. 2018.
“5 Reasons to Study Business Management.” Regent Business School. 13 Jan. 2018. Web. 6 Nov. 2018.