Youtube Voice

After watching “My Drunk Kitchen: Thanksgiving Turkey” and “Performance” I realized that youtube voice is not possible in all youtube videos.  In “My Drunk Kitchen” she uses youtube voice by emphasizing her words but in “Performance” MC Spandx isn’t using youtube voice because he’s rapping for most of the video.  For me I feel like emphasizing my words and syllables more would be a good idea so everyone in the class would be able to understand what I am saying.  I feel like over stressing my words too much might just seem weird and make my classmates (or anyone I’m going my speech to) think I speak weird and that might distract them from the message of my speech.

1 comment

1. Ashley, I’ve been thinking about your points here for a while. I think you’re right in some important ways. As a woman and an aspiring attorney, you’ll face some double standards about communication. A lot of the strategies people use to engage an audience (like YouTube voice) can come across as “bubbly” or lightweight in professional context like law. Some attorneys say that they have needed to cultivate a “serious” speaking style, the features of which often overlap with “masculine” styles (lower pitch, more monotone, lower affect). See, for example, this speech by Kamala Harris – California Attorney General just elected Senator: https://youtu.be/zSmleiYaF-k