Write-Out for Project 3

Hi guys my names justin and for my presentation on community I want to talk about a community i was exposed to 6 years ago when I went to the philippines. This community was a group of individuals who at the time were the same age as me (12 years old) who lived in a small city called Dapitan which is located in the southern part of the philippines.

So basically when I went to this city, word spread around super fast that a person from America was in town because it was very rare for a foreigner to come to this city. That being the case, a bunch of kids came to the house I was staying at and introduced themselves and from thereon out for the next week they would come over every single day after school.   

The reason why I wanted to talk about this community is because it being one from a 3rd world country, it was an extremely strong eye opening experience associating with people from a completely different lifestyle than the one we are exposed to here in America.

Within this group of people and almost all the other people at this age, they were very secluded to technology compared to the amount we have here in America.

With that being said, they seemed like masters at socialization.

They had no phones to distract them.

They would talk to me anything and everything. They had a genuine passion to get to who I was which is something i don’t see often here

Aside from coming by the house after school they would take me around the city (the ways they got around were either walking or biking) and even invited me to attend their school for one day.

Overall, visiting this part of the Philippines and becoming involved with the community was an eye opening and humbling experience because it taught me how much lifestyles can be in another part of the world and how affectionate an entire grand interconnected a group of people can be when secluded from the distractions of social media and other forms of technology.