3 Presentation Ideas

The first idea that I really would like to investigate further for my presentation is the connection and significance of bicycles in relation to childhood and the transition into adulthood. Aside from reading Strickland’s article, I could also interview people (my parents perhaps) about their childhood and what role bicycles played in it. Drawing from my own experiences and thoughts, I could construct an argument for the role bicycles play in cultivating the child’s desire to explore.

Another idea I have kind of plays into the childhood one, as I would look into the epidemic of child obesity and the role of technology plays in this problem, as well the possibility for bicycles to help solve this problem. This would be my credibility assessment, as I could look into studies regarding children’s habits in these areas.

Playing on my Comparative Literature and Culture major, I could also investigate the different forms and styles bicycles take in different cultures, and see what those types, or uses, of bikes reflect about the broader culture within a specific country. As music is also a passion of mine, I’m still considering ways in which I could incorporate that as well. Perhaps I could play a song from the country I was investigating and connect it culturally to some aspect of bicycles. There are many options.