Meaning of Name

My full name is Bui Nguyen Phuong Khanh. I’m not really sure which is my true last name since people usually count the first word in the name as their last name, which means Bui is my last name. However, in some situations they still count Bui Nguyen is also my last name. It’s a combination of my parents’ last names. My mom uses her first name as my middle name, Phuong, because she hopes that our names have a connection which will form an invisible bond between and nothing can cut it off. It also means that parents gave their kid this name to wish their child will be very beautiful and live ethically, and be loved by everyone. According to the Vietnamese Han, my first name, Khanh, is used to refer to happy events with a feeling of joy, often used to describe the atmosphere in parties and celebrations. “Khanh” often refers to virtuous and good people who bring a feeling of joy to those around them. I don’t feel embarrassed by my name but I used to think that my name was too common and wasn’t as special as others’, until I knew its meaning. I didn’t change or adopt a new name, however, I have another one, as a nickname or English name to use when I’m out of Vietnam. I would prefer people to call me with the name which they can pronounce correctly. I usually pay attention or react to my name when someone calls/says it correctly, if not I won’t answer. When I was young, I really wanted to change my name just because it’s too long. Whenever I fill my name in the blank for documents or filling in an information box on the test/quiz paper, it would go out of the box. 

Published inUncategorized

Be First to Comment