Bird Blog 11

Date: 4/28/2020

Location: Manhattan Beach, 7th Street, and ocean Dr. 

Site Description:  It was cloudy about 70 degrees F. The beach is still closed and most people were walking on ocean dr, instead of the strand. There were no surfers out in the water.

Species Account: 

So I saw this bird on someone’s roof for a second and I do not know if that is a mourning dove. It was just chillin’ in this tree. It is very common everywhere in North America. It is half the size of a rock pigeon with a fat body, small head, and white wings. Usually seen in shrubs and trees.

Common Name: Mourning dove

Species: Zenaida macroura

Family: Columbidae

Order: Columbiformes

Observations: 10,201,831

Area: North America

Narrative:

I did the same thing as bird blog 8 and its just the same thing over and over again with crows, raven, and gulls. The waves are flat and there is a couple of police but overall this birding adventure was the usual as Bird blog 8. There is a mourning dove that I believe saw on someone’s house but I only caught a glimpse and then waited for like 5 minutes and then moved on. Saw gulls flying on the ocean and over the sand look like they are taking a liking to no human presence on the beach. I think in general the beach closed has made an impact on them since I barely see them on the beach anymore like we used to. I think it because humans leave things and then they eat it. I saw crows and gulls fly and then they go on a pole or something. I walked from the pier to 7th street on ocean dr.

Bird List: https://ebird.org/checklist/S68117930