Calling All McCarthy Center Alumni!
We’re excited to announce the formation of the McCarthy Center’s Alumni Committee — to rally our alumni around the Center’s new students, events and the upcoming 15th Anniversary! A small group of dedicated undergraduate and graduate alumni have come together to organize our support of current and future students, and the USF community as a whole.
The committee is comprised of active and dedicated alumni volunteers from all McCarthy Center class years, programs, and majors. The current committee includes:
- Rebecca McDowell, Master of Public Affairs 2016, Mayor’s Office of Education
- Rodd Lee, Master of Public Affairs 2014, BART
- Jennifer Ratliff, Master of Urban Affairs 2016, USF School of Management
- Pete Byrne, Master of Urban Affairs 2016, San Francisco Office of Short Term Rentals
- Lunna Lopes, B.A. 2006, Public Policy Institute of California
- Nico Bremond, SF Magic Zone
- Andrea Wise, M.A. 2013, UC Berkeley Public Service Center
The mission of the Alumni Committee is to create a strong and unified alumni presence at all signature McCarthy Center events, activities and traditions in and around our community. They will work closely with the McCarthy Center Board and staff. A strong alumni coalition also presents the opportunity to continue spreading the word about McCarthy Center undergraduate and graduate programs.
The Committee members were initially invited by the Center’s Director to serve for a minimum one-year term. Going forward, the Alumni Committee will develop a subsequent application process and the length of terms during the first year.
While USF currently has a strong alumni relations network, this Committee will focus on specifically serving McCarthy Center students and alumni with the priorities of:
- Adopting the alumni relations core values of excellence, lifelong relationships, lifelong learning, inclusiveness and diversity, global citizenship, advocacy, and USF pride;
- Participating in alumni board meetings and functions, regional alumni chapter events and other university functions
- Organizing at least one alumni event with assistance from McCarthy Center staff during the spring or summer semester;
- Communicating the mission and purpose of the McCarthy Center and Alumni Steering Committee to the wider alumni population;
- Supporting a strong relationship between the McCarthy Center Board, alumni and current students in career planning, placement and transitions;
- Encouraging highly qualified and diverse prospective students to attend USF and enroll in McCarthy Center programs and degrees.
McCarthy Center Alumni are encouraged to stay tuned for an update from the committee. There will be a variety of ways to become involved including:
- Upcoming events including the 15th Leo T. McCarthy Anniversary celebration, November 9, 2017 and the speakers series, Conversations for the Common Good beginning in 2018
- On-going recruiting efforts
- Networking opportunities
- Welcoming and mentoring students
- Supporting job and internship searches for current students and recent graduates
In the meantime, if you are one of our alumni, undergraduate or graduate, please make sure to update your contact information here!
See some of our alumni at the recent 15th Anniversary Kick-off in Sacramento held last month at Frank Fat’s in our Flickr album.