SF aloha run

Running for Black Lives

In the last month, staff members of the McCarthy Center participated in the San Francisco Aloha Run, a unique opportunity for individuals of all ages and backgrounds to stand up for Black Lives by participating in an uplifting and healthy activity. In solidarity with the Black Lives Matter movement, the 2020 run has been titled, “SF Aloha Run for Black Lives.”

This fall, the non-profit organizers of the Aloha Run, the Japanese Childrens Youth Council (JCYC), hopes to contribute to this global movement by engaging runners and walkers across the country in lifting up messages of equity and justice for Black Lives. For the health and safety of the SF Aloha Run participants, this year’s event was virtual.

Proceeds from the run were donated to Black Girls Code, our community partner, the Booker T. Washington Community Service Center, to provide scholarships for low-income, first generation college students. Read on for reflections from our staff.

Derick Brown
Senior Director

I love running for Black Lives and supporting incredible community based organizations like Booker T. Washington Community Services and JCYC. It’s an absolute honor to run in support of Black Lives and partner with community organizations that are doing the work of racial equity and justice.

Star Plaxton-Moore
Director of Community Engaged Learning
Star Plaxton-Moore at the Aloha Run
I completed the Aloha Run for Black Lives to support vital programs that empower Black youth in our community, including Booker T. Washington Community Service Center and Black Girls Code. Working with community-based organizations like these, and so many others, allows me to play a role in addressing systemic racism and supporting community leaders and youth who are transforming our world to be more equitable and just.
Justin Pearson
MA in Urban and Public Affairs, ’20

Justin Pearson in the SF Aloha RunI took part in the SF Aloha Run for Black Lives, because I believe that every small step and donation made by organizations big and small, get us closer to unanimity that a Black life matters. I run for those like myself that are not always able to say everything, but still feel everything.

Dresden Smith
Literacy Program Coordinator, Engage San Francisco

Dresden Smith in the SF Aloha RunAfter 10 years of running for track and field practice, there is very little that could convince me to ever run again, BUT running for Black Lives is not something I could pass up! I’m ecstatic to be able to get outside and support two community based organizations that support and empower Black youth. The kids at Booker T Washington bring so much light into my life and the lives of our tutors; It is a joy to be able to partner with them!

Leslie Lombre
Director of External Relations
Leslie Lombre in the SF Aloha Run
I did the #SFAlohaRunforBlackLives because in this moment, we must take every opportunity to show support for Black lives and our partners that are leading the way. JCYC and the Booker T. Washington Community Service Center are legendary organizations that have touched thousands of lives. Running is a small gesture toward a much larger effort of contributing to the common good.
Karin Cotterman
Director of Engage San Francisco
Karin Cotterman at the SF Aloha Run
I participate in #SFAlohaRun4BlackLives because Booker T. Washington Community Service Center is a critical partner for the Engage San Francisco initiative at #USFCA and @USF_LTMC, Black Girls Code supports success and Black excellence, and #BlackLives Matter. #BreonnaTaylor #SayHerName
Black Girls CodeBlack Lives MatterBooker T. Washington Community Service CenterSF Aloha Run

Leo T. McCarthy Center • October 7, 2020

Previous Post

Next Post