Professional headshot of a woman

The Call to Civic Engagement on Super Tuesday

Join Ashlyn Glancy on her transformative journey with the McCarthy Center’s USFVotes at the University of San Francisco. What started as a curious involvement in tabling activities evolved into a profound passion for political engagement. With Super Tuesday approaching, she underscores the importance of early political engagement and encourages her fellow students and community members to join the movement.

Every Tuesday from 11:45 am to 12:45 pm, right inside the doors of the University Center, a lively group of college students descends, armed with bags filled with voting materials and candy.

Upon my arrival as a transfer student at the University of San Francisco, much of my initial semester was spent in search of a sense of belonging on campus. It was on a particular Tuesday around 11:45 am that my attention was captivated by the vibrant USFVotes table. Hesitant yet intrigued, I approached and was warmly greeted by members of the Leo T. McCarthy Center, who introduced me to USFVotes—an initiative dedicated to fostering civic engagement and voter participation. Without reservation, I decided to get involved, blissfully unaware of the profound impact it would have on me.

As I delved into the world of USFVotes, my journey commenced with training in the art of tabling—registering voters, distributing flyers, and engaging passersby in conversations about the significance of political involvement. With each interaction, my passion grew larger.

I found myself forming deep connections with fellow students and community members. Discussions on crucial ballot initiatives and varying perspectives on civic engagement provided me with food for thought, shaping my views on politics both inside and outside the classroom. Now, I am often known to shove USFVotes bookmarks into friends’ hands and sport my favorite USF crewneck sweatshirt the second the weather dips appropriately.

USFVotes became an avenue for honing my leadership skills as well. Before I knew it, I was at the helm of voter engagement teams and orchestrating tabling setups, experiencing empowerment in a distinctive manner that only the McCarthy Center could offer. This spring, the honor of assuming the role of Team Lead was bestowed upon me—an exceptionally special position allowing me not only to partake in voter engagement but also to provide mentorship and support to fellow students. Assisting in the training of the next team lead for this remarkable program stands out as one of the most significant contributions I will ever make.

USFVotes transcends being just a student-led initiative; it wields real-world impacts that draw students toward active civic engagement. In a world often overshadowed by political apathy, USFVotes serves as a beacon of hope, showcasing the power of collective action and the significance of being an active citizen.

As the upcoming Super Tuesday on March 5th, 2024, looms, the urgency of political engagement becomes even more apparent. Studies show that early and frequent engagement in voting develops a habits that endure a lifetime. Therefore, nurturing and supporting students during this crucial period of young adult development is paramount in cultivating successful and civically engaged citizens. Super Tuesday marks the culmination of months of hard work and dedication from politicians, activists, students, and citizens alike. It stands as a day for each one of us to exercise our democratic rights, ensuring our voices are heard.

As a member of the USF community, I cannot stress enough the importance of active involvement. Thus, I implore my fellow students and community members to visit a USFVotes table. Rain or shine, we’ll be out in full force, actively participating in the electoral process to make a meaningful difference. So, come join us—we can’t wait to welcome you!

Learn more about USFVotes here.

Sarina Barot-Martinez • March 3, 2024