What makes up the core of MSEM?

Three required introductory courses – Ecology, Environmental Chemistry, and Quantitative Methods – and two research-focused courses: Research Methods and Master’s Project. To some students these classes sound daunting and they worry about having been out of school for a while, not having taken much chemistry before, or coming from a different background of work. However, our talented and supportive professors along with the structure of the classes allows you to succeed so long as you dedicate yourself to the materials. These courses become the backbone of your studies and more often than not are greatly appreciated by our students.

“I will always be thankful for my two years in the MSEM program at USF. Before entering this program, I had convinced myself that it was too late to pursue my passion for environmental science and that I wouldn’t even get past the chemistry course prerequisite. With the support of the MSEM faculty and staff, my cohort, and my family, I have exceeded my expectations and couldn’t be prouder.” – Julia Neumann, Hatchery Technician, Mook Sea Farms (USF MSEM ‘22)

For other students with a substantial background in ecology, chemistry, or statistics, it is possible to apply for a waiver from one or more introductory courses, and dive into elective courses. For example, an incoming student with plenty of quantitative skills could gain new knowledge by taking Environmental Law, Urban Resilience in Climate Change, or Watershed Management.

Here’s a glance into what you can expect from each of the required courses…

Ecology: In this course you examine a variety of ecosystems, the communities within them, and how energy and nutrients flow throughout. You also gain understanding of human impacts on global ecosystems and consider management practices to mitigate adverse effects.

Environmental Chemistry: You cover the chemistry of aquatic, soil, and atmospheric systems, with applications to air pollution, water quality, and the chemical behavior of pollutants in the environment.

Quantitative Methods: This class reviews essential statistical techniques and applies them to environmental management challenges, from ecosystem conservation to clean-up of contamination.

Research Methods: In this course you engage the literature and learn analysis methods for applied research in environmental science and management, as well as design your Master’s Project research.

Master’s Project: The Master’s Project is the capstone portion of the curriculum and is designed to give each student an opportunity to do an in-depth study on a specific topic of their choosing, within the broader discipline of Environmental Management. This applied research project includes a detailed synthesis of the literature, analysis utilizing existing data, a professional report, and a conference-style presentation.

Each of these classes relate with one another and intertwine with your other courses for a more holistic understanding of environmental management practices and methods. So, no matter your education or work background you’ll be fully equipped and capable to produce high quality work that can make a difference in our world.