0

S2 Reflection and Assessment

I think that my S2 speech went well but I could have put in a lot more effort in using different means of research for more and varied information that I would have worked well. I would like to have went out and asked other pedestrians and drivers in particular in what they feel about the impact that bike messengers have on the city. I also believe that I can work to write better speech write-outs so that I can plan on what I need to say for the introduction of the speech, the main points, and it’s conclusion. This would make important parts of a speech like a conclusion and it’s “stop sign” much easier to understand. It can also give me a clear set of ideas that I am need to make clear while still being open enough to include my own insight. Although I feel very natural while delivering a speech, working on my main points can make the speech much more clear and inspiring for the audience.

I did feel that one thing I did well during my speech was keeping it a loud and clearly communicated speech. I feel that I did a good job of always talking with a loud enough voice for everyone in the audience to hear. I also kept good eye contact with almost every person in the audience. By doing this, I wanted to make them feel like I was talking to them individually and not just a random set of heads sitting in a classroom. Talking in a calm but clear way has been one of my natural talents in giving speeches. The camera had never phased me in any of the speeches that I have given in the class and is something that I know would be used in some of my speeches in future classes.

One thing that I enjoyed and thought that someone did well was Ettore claiming that the research of the topic he has done is not fully finished. I enjoyed that he had the humility to say that his research was not complete and opened the topic for the audience. This opens the ideas and specific areas of study to the audience and what they can do with it. Speeches are given to spread ideas and opinions and having the inspiration to draw members of the audience into those ideas is probably one of the strongest results of a speech. I will definitely add this to one of my next speeches and to open the minds of the audience.
I am looking forward to learning from this S2 Presentation to add more skills and may ways of language to create a more captivating speech. Most of my favorite speeches that I have heard are from speakers who do have the natural ability to speak in front of a crowd but have worked on their skills for years. That inspires me to use all of my tools and materials to become and even more captivating speaker and one who is successful at sharing my ideas with the people around me and having that speech actually make an impact in the world around me.

vintage-photo-of-a-man-giving-a-speech

rsilva6