Speech 1: Reflection

One thing that I did well in my first presentation was my usage of the google slides. Sometimes a speaker and their slides would conflict in terms of who or what the audience is giving their attention to, and I thought that I did a pretty good job with utilizing the powerpoint to emphasize certain points that I was introducing. One thing that I definitely wanted to do better was slow down, and make sure that the audience was on track and was keeping up with what I was saying. I also would sometimes go off tangent, which brought their focus away from the main points and perhaps made it a hard time to understand the presentation as a whole. I felt that my delivery was sub-par, and that it needed more professionalism and substance. Overall, this speech definitely gave me a perspective on working on my own credibility, and ensuring that I could be considered to be ‘credible’ by an audience. In terms of public speaking, I also learned how important it is to also be a good audience. As an audience member, one must give their full attention and keep an open mind to the speaker, which can be sometimes hard to do in a classroom where everyone is still focusing on their own speeches. In the future, I plan on rehearsing differently, and ‘mixing up’ my style of speaking to expand outside of my comfort zone. I want to try different styles of speaking, and broaden my speaking skills rather than just being adequate with one.