Leaf Descriptions

Golden Pothos •• Epipremnum aureum:

The Golden Pothos or Epipremnum aureum is a small plant that is commonly used as a house plant. The leaves are heart-shaped and have a waxy texture. The colors vary with various shades of green as well as the leaves often being marbled with a creamy yellow or white color.

These can be planted in soil or grow with their roots submerged in water, which is how I’ve chosen to grow mine. The leaves are no larger the palm of my hand. The colors for each leaf vary as shown below. About half of the leaves are solid colored in various shades of green and the other half contain the marbled pattern. This plant, in particular, has leaves that are on the smaller end of the spectrum. I’ve had this plant since June of 2019 and it has about doubled in size since then.

Ti Leaf •• Cordyline fruticosa:

The Ti Leaf or Cordyline fruticosa is a woody plant that can grow up to 13 feet tall. It’s leaves vary in size and can be anywhere from 1-2 feet in length. The leaves contain bone that runs from the stem through the end of the leaf. The colors vary as well. They can be any shade of green and they also come in a dark red, burgundy shade.

The Ti leaves that I am observing come from my yard. They have been planted in my yard for about 20 years now. The stock is about 10 feet tall. The leaves are about 15 inches in length. The leaves are thin and waxy. They are thinner than other ti leaves that I’ve seen. The color of the leaves are a very vibrant, light, green color. Some leaves are yellowing and some spotted with brown.

Gardenia •• Gardenia jasminoides:

The Gardenia or Gardenia jasminoides is a bush that is comprised of leaves and fragrant white blossoms that somewhat resemble roses. The leaves are thick and have many veins running throughout. the bush can grow in many shapes and sizes, typically 2- 8 feet tall.

The Gardenia bush that I am referencing is one that is in my neighbors yard. It is about 3 feet tall and 2 feet wide. The leaves are all in elliptic shapes that sit in bunches together. The leaves are thick and hearty. The color varies from various shades of green to multiple shades of yellow. The leaves vary in size, the smallest ones being a few inches large, up to 8-10 inches in size.

Bottlebrush •• Callistemon:

The Bottlebrush or the Callistemon is a bush that contains small oval-shaped leaves and bright red blossoms. The leaves are a light grey or green color and often stiff and brittle. They are a woody plant and grow in bushes that can grow to become 20-30 feet tall and 10 -15 feet in width.

The Bottlebrush that I have in my yard is averaging 11 feet in height and 4 feet in width. The leaves of the Bottlebrush are very small and brittle and are on the more green end of the spectrum for this plant. They snap when you break them. The leaves have this white dusty residue on the surface of each leaf. Each leaf is about the same size of 3 or 4 cm.

Garden croton •• Codiaeum variegatum:

The Garden croton or Codiaeum variegatum is a woody plant that has large leaves that are painted with many different colors: various shades of red, green, yellow, and orange. They can grow to be about 3-8 feet in height and 4-6 feet in width.

The Garden croton that I have is a smaller bush averaging only about 3 feet in height and 1 foot in width. The leaves on my Garden croton are all rather large, 8-10 inches on average. These leaves have waxy face and a veiny underside. The leaves are rather thick and sturdy.