10 THINGS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO AS A TEACHER

As students preparing to be teachers we are engulfed by all of the negative aspects of school – tests, homework, anxiety and worry- coupled with other pressures of work and anything else happening in our lives. So sometimes we forget what made us initially begin this journey. With the goal of remembering why I started and as a reminder of what drives me to become a teacher, below are ten things that I am looking forward to as a teacher.

1. The “Aha!” moment

I think this is probably one of the most common aspects that all aspiring teachers look forward to. It’s seeing that student that has been struggling with something finally have that light bulb where it makes sense. I look forward to the sense of confidence and achievement that my students get from moments like this.

1. Learning from my students

To me, this seems like something that can be overlooked. As future educators we are so focused on how we are going to impart knowledge and wisdom onto our students that we don’t realize how much they have been teaching us in turn.

1. Never the same thing everyday

Each day is something new. It is definitely not a profession where it is repetitive. With new students comes new experiences, challenges, backgrounds and ideas and the interaction of the combination of these things changes from year to year and even day to day.

1. Surviving the first parent teacher conferences and Back to School Night

Parent teacher conferences and Back to School Night hold so much pressure and can be such a predominant source of stress that I am looking forward to the sense of accomplishment and confidence that comes when I see that I can handle those aspects of teaching.

1. The new challenges along the way

Part of things never being completely consistent with new groups of students and new experiences means new challenges. I am looking forward to the challenges because to me each challenge is an opportunity for growth both for my students and for myself.

1. Seeing the students grow throughout the year(s)

Students can evolve so much during the school year and getting to see how they have grown as students and as people is something that teachers are lucky to witness.

1. Hearing student idea

Children have a unique way of looking at the world and I am excited to see the new and inventive ideas that my students can create given the opportunity.

1. Creating my own lesson plans

Although this is a daunting task I am excited of the prospect of creating a lesson that connects with my students and makes learning accessible and fun.

1. Getting to work with children

This seems like a simple and somewhat obvious part of the job but I am looking forward to it nonetheless. I think kids are so much fun, creative problem solvers and bring a unique perspective that tends to be overlooked.

1. Making an impact

Each part of the rest of this list is either a byproduct or an opportunity to make a difference in the lives of students and is one of the foundational reasons that I am looking forward to becoming a teacher.

Through the trials and tribulations of my masters and credentialing program I want to keep these ten aspects of teaching that I am looking forward to in the back of my mind. When I get frustrated, discouraged or overwhelmed I can remember the all of the things I get to look forward to as a teacher.

2 thoughts on “10 THINGS I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO AS A TEACHER

1. Your top ten were great. I especially like ” It’s never the same day” because that is very true you learn new things every day from your students and in the class. You never know what the day will bring as a teacher. Also like that you added you can look back at this when you are overwhelmed and look at your top ten.

2. Kailey,

I really liked number 4. Surviving the first parent teacher conferences and Back to School Night, because that also frightens me. It’s super nerve racking to know that this is the moment parents get to know you and what your class is going to be about. Overall, I really liked your post and I think it’s great that you have such a passion for teaching.