0

October 27th

Activity 1- Jaden Mae Comia, Aaman Shah

Please review the following sentences for errors in parallel structure. Correct the sentences by rewriting them. Not all sentences are incorrect. Answers may vary.

1. My dog is not only friendly but also playful.
  1. We can go to the park or dancing in the classroom.

We can either go to the park or dance in the classroom.

1. Jeremy likes to read historical, realistically and speculative fiction.

Jeremy likes to read historical, realistic and speculative fiction.

1. When I went to the bar, I want to dance, drinking and punch on the rowdy faces.

When I went to the bar, I went to dance, drink, and punch on the rowdy faces.

1. Buying a car is not a decision to take lightly nor be careless about.

Buying a car is not a decision to take lightly, or be careless about.

1. Tyler is for the legalization, not criminalization of marijuana.

Tyler is for the legalization, not the criminalization of marijuana.

1. Sally needs a new stove, dishwasher and knives for her kitchen.

Sally needs a new stove, dishwasher, and knives for her kitchen. 

1. My first grade teacher taught me how to write, how to read and play tic-tac-toe.

My first-grade teacher taught me how to write, read, and play tic-tac-toe.

1. She will not admit it, nor will she be apologizing.

She will not admit it, nor will she apologize.

1. The whole wheat pasta is better than enriched wheat pasta.

Whole wheat pasta is better than enriched wheat pasta.

1. Literature classes teach students to analyze texts, thinking critically, and improve writing.

Literature classes teach students to analyze texts, think critically, and improve their writing. 

1. Beets are just as nutrient rich as rutabagas even though they are not in season.

Beets are just as nutrient rich as rutabagas, even though they are not in season.

1. Drunk drivers are thoughtlessly taking the lives of other people in their own hands,

risk their own lives, thinking only about their own pleasure and fun, and not consider the consequences of their actions.

Drunk drivers are thoughtlessly taking their lives and the lives of other people in their own hands 

by thinking only about their own pleasure and fun and not considering the consequences of their own 

actions. 

1. In order to convey the information correctly, the police officer spoke loudly to the crowd, 

tell people where they should stand, repeated the information to help people remember, and gesture.

In order to convey the information correctly, the police officer spoke loudly to the crowd, 

told people where they should stand, repeated the information to help people remember, and gestured.

Activity 2:

Peer Response: Czarina

“Upon reading Amy Tan’s essay, “Mother Tongue,” I notice some similarities that we had growing up. For example, the understanding of English from a particular parent can be perceived from a range of easily understandable to complete “Chinese.” In my experience, I have always been self conscience as to whether or not my friends could understand the way my dad speaks. But in reality, he is a successful businessman who has created many connections with big names, and he couldn’t have done that if his English wasn’t at least understandable. Just like Tan, my father is just like her mother, “She reads the Forbes report, listens to Wall Screen Week, converses daily with her stockbroker, reads all Shirley MacLaine’s books with ease—all kinds of things I can’t being to understand. Yet some of my friends tell me they understand 50 percent of what my mother says” (Tan par. 6). In addition, I also have experienced the same kind of embarrassment or shame to call my dad’s English “broken” that Tan experienced with her mother, “But I wince when I say that. It has always bothered me that I can think of no way to describe it other than ‘broken,’ as if it were damaged and needed to be fixed, as if it lacked a certain wholeness and soundness” (Tan par. 7). Someone’s first language not being English doesn’t mean they can’t comprehend the language perfectly. The first poster I believe is most effective as an argument that seeks to educate viewers about comments often perceived as insulting and about the potential social limits to free speech. It is obvious that there is a black woman on the cover page with the words ” You’re pretty for a dark-skin girl.” Although, surface-level, a compliment is being presented, the fact that it insinuates that dark-skin girls aren’t naturally or typically pretty comes off as races and close-minded.”

Czarina relates with Amy Tan’s essay “Mother Tougue” through her personal experience of her dad not having English as his first language. She expresses the same connection she feels between Amy’s mother and her dad having similar characteristics and ways of speaking English. Czarina also tells us how she feels embarrassed about her Dad’s “broken” English but is also proud of his achievements and endeavors of stemming himself to be a successful entrepreneur with connection’s despite of the language barrier. Towards the end Czarina describes her understanding of the argument presented in the first poster and how she feels it is the most “effective” argument on social limits to free speech.

asshah6