My Summer at Sogang University (2023)

Photo of Bobby Im
Headshot of Bobby Im

I was excited to participate in the Sogang International Summer Program and couldn’t wait to arrive in Korea. In planning, I knew Seoul—where Sogang University is located—would be hot, humid, and right in the middle of monsoon season, so I made sure to bring an umbrella and sunblock: I was ready for the rain and the sun and ready to begin my adventure.

At Sogang, I stayed at the Gonzaga International Dormitory, fully equipped accommodations that included such welcome amenities as a 24-hour laundry and gym facility in the basement. Right next to the dorms was a 24-hour convenience store where you could purchase just about anything. Their instant ramen aisle was a sight to behold, and the best part is that you could cook and eat it inside the store. On campus, I often ended up at Gonzaga Plaza where I would roam the stacks of the student bookstore and enjoy a coffee break at Starbucks or Gong Cha Tea. The school cafeteria was a favorite, serving a daily Korean buffet for only $5.00!

The language classes were intense but fun. For three hours every day, I studied Korean grammar, spelling, speech, writing, reading and comprehension. At the end of the 4-week program students not only completed a written exam but also delivered a 6-8-minute PowerPoint presentation with Q&A. I presented on how to prepare and make kimchi. Presenting entirely in Korean was a challenge but a rewarding one, especially as my instructors and fellow classmates were such a supportive audience. My advanced-level course included students from Spain, the UK, Germany, Singapore, Taiwan, and the US. Learning and making new friends from all over the world was an amazing experience.

I enjoyed the chance to explore Korea outside of the classroom too. Seoul is known for its many themed cafés, and Hongdae is the best neighborhood where you can spend time with numerous wildlife animals while enjoying snacks and drinks. I took a trip to a cat, dog, and meerkat café in Hongdae, where I was able sit and pet cats, meerkats, foxes, raccoons, Samoyed dogs and even wallabies.

The Sogang program sponsored field trips every Friday such as the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) where you can literally peer into North Korea or visit a tunnel that was built by North Korea to infiltrate South Korea. And, the Minsok (traditional folk) village was a fun place to dress up in traditional Korean clothing, or hanbok, and eat traditional foods and take pictures with friends. Besides the popular locations, I wanted to peer deeper into Korean culture, so I went on my own to places like Kukkiwon, the world headquarters for Taekwondo. I toured the museum there and watched the actual Kukkiwon Demonstration Team rehearsing for an upcoming event. I also traveled to Shinsung University, a top university specializing in degrees focused on sports such as Taekwondo.

Throughout my studies, class trips, and solo travels in Korea this summer, I learned that there are some things you just can’t get at home or online—they must be experienced through real life face-to-face interactions with people. By thinking, acting, and questioning like a Korean with native Koreans, my comprehension of both the formal and informal methods of communication increased dramatically. I thank the Center for Asia Pacific Studies for its generous financial support through the Summer Stipend award that allowed me to participate in the Sogang International Summer Program, fulfilling my goal of improving my Korean language abilities but more importantly, giving me the opportunity to make new friends and connections from around the world.