Write out for project 3

Hi, my name is Matt Olsen and I am an Art + Architecture Major from the University of San Francisco. Today, I’ll be teaching you how to draw a square, then turn that square into a box using value shifts

The first thing you’ll need is a drawing instrument. For this tutorial, I’m using a standard width black sharpie. This sharpie can be bought at any craft or office supply store, also on amazon. The second tool I’ll be using for this tutorial is a standard, one-foot ruler. Mine is metal, but a composite plastic ruler or a straight edge of any sort is fine.

(go into tutorial of drawing a box)

(After box is finished, start tutorial of sides, followed by tutorial of showing value)

Now, if you’ve been following along at home, you should have a perfectly drawn box sitting in front of you. What makes this box appear three dimensional is the conveying of a sense of light. This light is the brightest on the top of the box where it makes contact, which is why we should show the shadow that the light makes on the edge of the box, also to contrast the plane. We ad slight value on the sides because a shadow is cast on them too, they cannot be the same value as the initial point where the light hits the box.

Thank you for watching, I hope you enjoyed this tutorial. Like, comment, and subscribe if you enjoyed this video and are looking for more tutorials like this to come. Until next time, keep that drawing instrument handy.