Freedom of Speech

I always desired the freedom of speech more than anything else when I used to compare my country to other countries and especially America. In my country, Jordan, people cannot really express their genuine opinions and especially regarding political related matters. People who often do so, get arrested and live most of their lives in prison. Some individuals even threaten to kill the people who talk about politics.So, before I watched this Youtube video, I thought that the speaker will mainly talk about how people in the United States are free to say whatever they want and how there are no consequences even if they criticized certain political situations. However, this was not the case. After I watched it, I finally understood the first amendment regarding freedom of speech.The people in the United states can express their opinions but within certain limits. The freedom of speech that Americans can practice, will ONLY protect them from the government meaning they are not protected from all other associations, groups of people or even individuals.
freedom-of-speech

1 Comment

1. Dina, thank you for this -I am glad you found this video helpful. As you can see from other blogs in class, even Americans often do not have a very clear idea of the laws on this issue. — Jonathan