Group Work 9/9

My group-mates (Runze and Chris) and I found a TED Talk video, called “I’m Fine” by Jake Tyler. During his speech, he mostly appealed to pathos, using emotion to catch his audience’s attention. He speaks about his struggle with dealing with depression. He says always answers “I’m fine” if someone asks him how he’s doing to deflect the conversation because he doesn’t like talking about it. He stated if you say you’re fine enough times and act like it then people will stop asking. He speaks about a personal experience that he had when he wanted to end his own life and how he called his mother to help him. Depression is something that a lot of people deal with and speaking about that topic can create a connection between the speaker and the audience. We, as a group, feel that his speech is very emotional and it keeps us attentive and listening. Overall, Jake Tyler, gave a very well-written speech and gave good personal experiences to appeal to pathos; he also didn’t lose his audience’s attention throughout his speech.