Alumni Spotlight: Heather Beasley – Master of Arts in Teaching

Heather Beasley, Master of Arts in Teaching Alumni

University of San Francisco Sacramento Campus asked Heather Beasley, Master of Arts in Teaching Alumni of 2015, to be our next Alumni spotlight! We are honored to feature Heather and we hope you enjoy hearing about her USF experience!

Tell us about yourself, what degree you earned, and what you have been doing since you graduated?

I went back to school in 2013 to begin a new career in education. In 2015, I graduated alongside my fantastic cohort with a teaching credential and Master of Arts in Teaching. Immediately after graduation, I took on a long term substitute position with a charter school teaching 5th grade. Then last year I transferred to a public school in Plumas Lake, California teaching 3rd grade.

How has your USF degree helped you in your career and life?

So much of what I use everyday in the classroom stems from what we read and discussed in class as well as the culminating projects. One project that comes to mind is the development of a unit of study which was required to integrate cross-discipline curriculum and align with Common Core State Standards (CCSS). My 8th grade unit was on immigration and had the students pull archives from Ellis Island to create a final project to display in our own museum of immigration.   

What is the most exciting part of your job?

Education is extremely important in a democracy and it thrills me to collaborate with students in the learning and critical thinking process.

What inspires you and why?

I am inspired by my colleagues who have been in education for 15 plus years and still have a passion to support students and inspire minds to grow. I am also inspired by linking movement to learning by keeping lessons interactive and kinesthetic.  

What advice would you like to give to students?

I would advise incoming teaching credential students to get as much experience in the classroom as possible while completing your course of study. I volunteered in classrooms and worked in summer school which helped solidify my experiences in the program.

Anything else you would like to share?

USF offers a program that fostered the importance of reflecting on your teaching practice. This exercise has been critical in making me a stronger teacher. I am so grateful for the USF professors who model best practice by being available and supportive throughout my learning process.

usfsacramento