1

Congratulations to Ellen Hann, MSN student!

Ellen HannThe FNSNA Scholarship Selection Committee awarded Ellen Hann the National Council of State Boards of Nursing Scholarship!

Ellen responded to an invitation to apply for the FNSNA Scholarship with hopes of gaining some financial support, but she not only received the scholarship, but she also gained recognition for her work and vision to #ChangeTheHealthoftheWorldFromHere 

Ellen stated in her application, “I chose a nursing career because of nursing’s approach to caring for the “whole person.” I am interested in geriatric and pediatric nursing; opposite ends of the human lifespan, yet overlapping in their necessity to care for patients who may not be able to speak for themselves. I enjoy working as part of a team and empowering others, and I am fascinated by the study of the human body. Last year, my dad was diagnosed with brain cancer, an experience which has markedly impacted my life.”

About Ellen’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion experience: “I have no doubt benefited from several privileged social identities to which I belong. I am motivated to use my social capital to support vulnerable patient populations and increase equity in healthcare outcomes. In my nursing education so far, I have experienced the way that diversity of spoken language impacts equity of healthcare. I live and go to school in the diverse metropolis of San Francisco, CA: a beautiful city that spans all levels of wealth, culture, and language. Working as a nurse on the hospital floor is busy, challenging, and fast-paced, and reaching a qualified interpreter to communicate with a patient adds a layer of time and challenge which can ultimately negatively impact patient care. Nurses that I have worked with utilize interpreters for patient assessments, consents, and other instances as required by law, but the language barrier can impact care in a less perceptible way: English-speaking nurses seem less inclined to check in on these patients or take the time to get to know them. These small but meaningful interactions are disrupted when there is a language barrier, which can ultimately negatively impact healthcare outcomes.”

How do you expect to impact the nursing profession? “As a nurse, I expect to work at the bedside for many years, and then to pursue research or teaching. The nursing program I am in leads to not only an MSN degree, but also a clinical nurse leader (CNL) certification. As a CNL, I will be equipped to notice and take action on gaps, inequities, and problems in the healthcare system in which I work. I expect to build a close relationship with the hospital system for which I work, and hope to leave each floor where I work better than how I found it: in terms of patient outcomes, infection control, staff morale and retention, or other metrics of quality patient care. I expect to mentor, train, and teach future nurses as I gain experience in my own career. I hope that I have the opportunity to work with patients across the human lifespan, and the chance to build meaningful and collaborative professional relationships with nurses from other healthcare settings, states, or even countries. I also expect to continue to uphold the nursing profession as the most trusted profession by acting professionally, competently, and compassionately in all that I do.”

We are proud of Ellen and this well-deserved recognition and scholarship!

cecheverria

One Comment

1. Ellen, we are proud of you! Thanks for sharing with us this great recognition.