August 25: Reading Response

Replying to Angelina Lo’s response to the reading, I agree with how she explains that an argument is an invitation. I never thought of an argument as an invitation myself, which made me more curious about the idea. I later read in her response that we can explore new ideas through arguments and others’ perspectives on those ideas. I also resonated with how she said the only way we can genuinely argue is to understand each point of view to have a strong argument. Personally, I agree with what Angelina stated in her reading response because it was similar to my own thoughts on the article.

Any form of text that has a point of view can be argued. This is a valid statement because there will always be more than one point of view. In technical terms, an argument is when one opinion is being countered by another, in order to put into perspective which one is correct. So, for example even the smallest of topics can have arguments. Like covid 19 face masks, health warnings on cigarettes, or a Tesla Model 3 electric car. 

COVID-19 face masks can have an argument on whether or not they should be mandatory, or if we as a  society should be obligated to wear them. The health warnings on a package of cigarettes can have an argument about enhancing public awareness on the harmful effects of smoking. A Tesla Model 3 electric car can have an argument on how harmful the lithium ion batteries in the Model 3 are for the environment when disposed of improperly. Even though they don’t have too much significance or to some they might, they still can have some type of argument.  

By: Aarane Srikumar, Michael Zu, and Niycrea Snipes