September 7th: Pre-writing on Audio Essay

Main Topic: Growing up as a first-generation American citizen

• Having immigrants parents and being raised in a different way than my white friends
  • Learning more about my culture after visiting Sri Lanka
  • Understanding why my parents raised me the way that they did
  • I will use pictures of my trip from Sri Lanka
  • Other pictures will be of my family and me

An outline for an audio essay

• Start with a general basis of who I am (name, age, ethnicity)
  • Then explain life as a first gen American citizen
  • Explain the differences with friends from school and how they were raised
  • Move into the trip to Sri Lanka
  • Explain how it allowed you to understand your culture more and why you were raised the way you were
  • Explain how it added to your personal identity
  • Explain how you were grateful for the way you were raised because it allowed you to be ready for the real world and all of its problems
  • But also explain the cons of not being raised the way your friends were
  • End with conclusion on how everything in your life so far has shaped you

Run on sentences and comma splices

Sadie Olson, Aarane Srikumar, Janelle Frazier

Identify the error type of the following sentences as run-on (R), comma splice (CS), or correct (C). Then correct the sentences.  

1) The chickens on campus play a famous role in our school because they make us unique.       Type_CS__

2) What if the chickens laid eggs and hid them somewhere. They would get left behind.      Type R

3) The chickens bring laughter to our students. Without them, we’d be an ordinary school.               

Type_CS___

4) I remember that after my first class, I was led out to the bookstore. Unfortunately, I stepped on the chickens’ dump.    

Type__CS__

I remember, that after my first class, I was led to the bookstore. Unfortunately, I stepped on the chickens’ dump.    

5) Right now, there are many chickens living freely on campus, but many professors don’t want chickens.  

Type_C___

6) Chickens should not be allowed to live freely on the campus because they cause stinky odors, make noise, and no one wants to clean after.          

Type__R__

Chickens should not be allowed to live freely on the campus because they cause stinky odors, make noise, and no one wants to clean after.  

7) Anytime students want to lie down on the lawn, they need a place that looks clean and has fresh air.  Therefore, they can not take a nap or study.      

Type_R___

8)  But I strongly disagree with that opinion; chickens should not be allowed on campus at all.    

Type_CS__

9) During the time students are in the lab, if the chickens make a lot of noise, the students won’t focus on doing their job.  

Type_R__

10) In conclusion, if the chickens live freely on campus because students let them live free, these students should clean the chickens’ mess.   

Type_R___