1

Communication Studies Fondue #1

An idea for a new blog post came from a recent Communication Studies Department faculty meeting. Our current chair, the Honorable Professor Ho, asked us “Does anyone have any good news to share?” Everyone there instead heard “Does anyone have any fondues to share?” Not only did many of us (okay, maybe just me) get hungry thinking about fondue (is there something wrong with me that as I am typing this it is 85 degrees outside and I still think a warm, gooey, cheese fondue sounds good?) but a new blog post category was born!

I thought it would be fun to share good news from the Communication Studies Department, including faculty, staff, students, and alums. Of course, it must forever be known as “Fondue!” So here is our first entry of good news from the Communication Studies Department:

Professor Joe Sery recently published a chapter in the book Venomous Speech. Given my intense fear of snakes, I almost stopped listening after hearing the word “venomous.” Glad I didn’t, though, as Professor Sery’s chapter is called “Reframing Dissent: The Pittsburg G20 and the Growing Challenges for Protest.” He has assured me that it has nothing to do with snakes.

Professor Marco Jacquemet should now be referred to as “Full Professor Jacquemet” as he was granted promotion to the highest rank of professor-dom this year! A huge congratulations to Full Professor Jacquemet!

Professor Evelyn Ho won (along with Professor EJ Jung in the Computer Science Department) a USF Faculty Team Innovation Award for their project “CRISP: Communicating Risk on Internet Security and Privacy.” The project will be part of the fall COMS 366: Ethnography of Communication class.

Student Kelcee Clark, ’13 won the “Best Undergraduate Poster Award” at this year’s Creative Activity and Research Day hosted by the USF College of Arts & Sciences for her poster “Adoption Messages Communicated Intergenerationally” that she wrote for Professor Thorson’s COMS 306: Family Communication class.

Student Victor Valle, ’15 won an Excellence in Leadership and Service Award for his work as Co-Director of WORD! Poetry Club and an organizer for the Lyricist Lounge. Oh yeah, and he also founded We Move Against the Tides, a website that covers local SF artists.  

Student Carly Smith, ’13 won a Leo T. McCarthy Public Service Award for her work as an Advocate for Community Engagement for the Leo T. McCarthy Center for Public Service and the Common Good. She is the on-site partner for the Network for Teaching Entrepreneurship and Project Open Hand.

Alum Maura Kelly, ’09 is graduating this May with a Master of Arts in Film and Television Producing from Chapman University. We must now refer to her as “Maura Kelly, M.A.”

Alum Maddy Bohannon, ’10 was recently accepted to the Master of Arts in Counseling Psychology program here at USF where she will focus on School Counseling. That’s right, Maddy realized she could not stay away from USF and is back to continue her education!

A big congratulations to all of the above! We are so proud!

If you are a current student or alum who has some good news to share, please contact me at edoohan@usfca.edu so that I can feature it in an upcoming Fondue! For example, did you recently get a job or change jobs? Get a promotion? Get into grad school? Get married? Have a child? Travel the world? Climb Mt. Everest? Figure out a way to solve global warming? Are starring in the next blockbuster movie? Complete a marathon? Get elected to public office? Any of these would be excellent fondues! My idea is that the good news need not be solely academic or professional, although those are, of course, welcome! But also feel free to share other personal life accomplishments.

Here’s to the accomplishments of our department members, present and past!

One Comment

1. YAY! Fondues!!! I have to interject that I said, “Anyone have any FUN NEWS to share” and people heard “fondues.” I think we need to stop having dept. meetings during lunch.