1

New Student Chronicles, Ch. 1: Amena Mansoor

I am very excited to have one of our new students joining us in “The Student Chronicles.”  I thought it would be fun to hear from a new student during the first semester here at USF.  New transfer student Amena Mansoor was nice enough to take me up on the offer to participate in the blog.  Here we go: Amena’s “Chapter 1.”

“Hello USF!

My name is Amena Mansoor, I am for Santa Clara, CA, and I am 23 years old. I transferred to USF from University of Denver (I was only there for a quarter), and prior to that, I was at De Anza College in Cupertino, CA. After I moved to Denver, I realized how unique the Bay Area is because of its diversity and the abundance of opportunities available to its residents, so I decided to move back. I specifically applied at USF because of its reputation, and I always dreamt of living or working in San Francisco.

"first day classes at usf!!!"

Before applying at USF, I visited the campus to get an idea of the ambiance and the people. Within two minutes of being on campus, I knew this is where I wanted to be. My first contact with a USF faculty was with Professor Doohan, and she welcomed me with open arms and thoroughly explained me the curriculum for the Communication Studies Department.

"these are all the books i'll be reading this semester!"

I am currently taking Professor DeLaure’s Rhetoric and the Public Sphere. I am also a Philosophy Minor, therefore, I am taking Ethics for Philosophy (Major and Minor only), Academic Writing at USF, and Lovers of Wisdom, which is exclusively for transfer students.

I chose to major in Communication Studies because I am fascinated by the way people communicate in this diverse and complex society. Since communication plays such a crucial role in our everyday life, understanding all the dynamics of the way we communicate will just make me a better communicator, which will not only enhance my career but also my personal life.

I am extremely excited about making new friends, and building lifelong friendships. Although I am from the Bay Area, I did not know a single soul at USF until the orientation. During my first week at USF, I made new friends, but now I am excited to deepen that bond. I anticipate learning life lessons, both inside and outside the classrooms.

"i love the view from lone mountain!!"

Overall, my first week at USF was fantastic. I look forward to being an active member of USF’s student body, and adding to its already thriving reputation.

"coffee, my companion during homework time!!"

The only question that comes to my mind is that where do students who commute park. If parking is limited on campus, where is the nearest parking garage?”

Thanks, Amena, for taking us along during your first week here!  Anyone have an answer to Amena’s parking question?  Comment back with your tips for parking around campus!

Please join me in welcoming Amena to the department and to USF!  We’ll check in with her again at midsemester.

One Comment

1. There’s a ton of free parking on the Park side of Fulton (except for certain street cleaning days) as well as certain streets in the inner Richmond. There are days that it’s easier to find a space than others (yesterday, I ended up parking on Cabrillo between 4th and 5th), but it’s free and the walk up the hill to USF is great cardio!