0

New Student Chronicles, Ch. 2: Amena Mansoor

If you can believe it, we are already passed the mid-point of the semester!  That means it is time to check in with our new student, Amena, who is continuing to blog about her first semester here at USF.  Here is Amena’s “Chapter 2.”

new transfer student and guest blogger Amena

“It is half way through my first semester at USF, and I am having a great time learning about the campus and San Francisco.  One of my favorite discoveries on campus is in the Del Santo Reading Room in Lone Mountain, also known as the “Harry Potter” room. 

Del Santo Reading Room in Lone Mountain

I am enjoying being in the city because there is so much to do there!  Although, I spend about two and a half hours commuting, I enjoy the drive because it relaxes me.  In the evenings, as I am driving away from the city, I get a beautiful view of the San Francisco skyline, and looking at the tall buildings motivates me.  I imagine having my own law office on the highest floor of the tallest building.

The City

When I started USF, I thought I was going to be more active on campus.  So far, I have only joined the Philosophy Club.  A couple of the organizations I wanted to join required students to complete a certain amount of units at USF, so I was not eligible.  I think it would be a lot easier to be an active member of the student body if I was living on or near campus.

The first half of the semester was more difficult than I had anticipated.  The curriculum at USF is definitely challenging, but of course in a good way!  I recall the first day of my Rhetoric and the Public Sphere class, when Professor DeLaure used the analogy of an elastic band as our minds, and how it will stretch from the readings she assigns.  I feel my mind broadening as I analyze the texts for all my classes.

One of my goals for the second half of the semester is to build a deeper rapport with my professors.  I have not visited any of my professors during their office hours because it conflicts with my class time, but I have spoken to them after class.

I have looked over the schedule for the upcoming semesters, and I am excited about registering for Summer and Fall classes.  Before I applied at USF for admissions, I looked over the course catalog, and a lot of the classes appealed me, so I am eager to register for classes and devour into my books.  My family just purchased a house, and we just moved last weekend, so besides completing my first semester at USF, I am looking forward to settling into my new home!”

Thanks Amena!  A few thoughts: 1) Students shout-out and correct me if I am wrong, but the Del Santo Reading Room, although beautiful, is not the Harry Potter Room.  The Harry Potter Room is the small, book lined room located halfway between the second and third floor of Lone Mountain.  And it does look straight out of Harry Potter!  Amena, if you haven’t seen that room yet, you have to check it out!  2) Although many clubs do require a certain number of units to be completed for membership, most club events are open to all students.  That is definitely true for our departmental events, so Amena and all of you other students out there, feel free to attend, official member or not!  3) I am going to second Amena’s goal of meeting with professors.  You don’t have to visit us only if you have questions about class.  It’s okay to come by office hours just to chat.  I helps us get to know you more, and you get to know us more.  Some of us even have cookies and candy to share! 

Thanks, Amena, for documenting your first semester for us!  We’ll hear from Amena again at the end of the semester.