0

Faculty Feats: Professor Marilyn DeLaure at Drake University

Today’s “Faculty Feats” features Communication Studies Professor Marilyn DeLaure, who recently gave a featured talk about her research at her undergraduate alma mater, Drake University in Iowa.

Poster for Professor DeLaure's Talk

I asked Professor DeLaure to give us the scoop on her talk.  Here’s what she said:
“Here’s what I did: I met with several former professors (one who was retired but made a special trip in to see me and hear my lecture), had breakfast and lunch with students (and talked with them about decisions to go to graduate school, etc), got a tour of campus (and got to see how the tiny dorm rooms where I lived during my first year have been converted into suites), taught a class (the students read one of my published essays), and then gave a public talk (title and abstract below).  It was kind of like a job interview, but without the stress of trying to get a job!  I did meet with one administrator–but he was a former classmate of mine, who is now one of Drake’s VPs.  It was really fun to see how lots of things had stayed the same, but lots had changed as well.”
Here is the title and abstract of Professor DeLaure’s talk:

Remembering the Sit-Ins: Performing Public Memory at Greensboro’s International Civil Rights Center and Museum

Commemoration is a complex rhetorical endeavor: how we remember significant historical events shapes our relationships to the past, present, and future.  This project explores how a recently opened commemorative site, the International Civil Rights Center and Museum (ICRCM) in Greensboro, North Carolina, constructs public memory. Housed in the original F.W. Woolworth’s dime store where four college freshmen sat down at a whites-only lunch counter on February 1, 1960, the ICRCM commemorates a key rhetorical performance of the civil rights movement by preserving its very stage as hallowed public space.  While the ICRCM contains the trauma of segregation and racism too neatly in the past, the museum also invites visitors to identify with the student protestors and reenact their journey, thus celebrating grassroots organizing and the activist potential of the ordinary citizen.

Congratulations to Professor DeLaure on her talk!  How fun to go back to your alma mater and address the current students!  Maybe some of our current students will one day return to USF to give a featured presentation!