2

Club Ed: Lauren, Vice President of "Lambda Pi Eta"

Today’s edition of “Club Ed” features Communication Studies senior Lauren Jacobson, who has served as Vice President of Lambda Pi Eta, the Communication Studies honor society, for the past year.  She has done an outstanding job of leading the club, along with the other officers.  I asked Lauren to share with us her experience with Lambda Pi Eta.

Lambda Pi Eta Vice President Lauren Jacobson

“As the Vice President of Lambda Pi Eta my main responsibilities were planning club events.  LPH hosts a variety of events for Communication Studies majors throughout the school year.  These events help to create a community within the major, deepen the academic experience at USF, and prepare communication studies graduates for life after graduation.  Some of the events I helped to plan include;:LPH Induction Ceremony, Alumni Speaker Night, Career Night, Making Strides Against Breast Cancer Walk, and Pizza with the Pros/Profs.

I have learned a great deal about event planning and leadership throughout my time as Vice President.  There are so many details that go into planning a successful event and I never really realized all of the hard work that it took until I was the one planning them.  I also learned how to delegate responsibilities and take leadership in other areas which I think is very important when working with a panel of people.

The 2011 graduating Lambda Pi Eta members!

Congratulations 2011 Lambda Pi Eta graduates!

Communication and Everyday Life and Persuasion and Social Influence have taught a lot about reading people and how to work well with others which I think are important skills when serving on an executive board.

One of my favorite experiences while serving on the LPH board include attending events such as Career Night and Pizza with the Pros.  These events are designed to help you network with people currently in professional positions and get advice about what life is like after college.  These events are attended by many recent graduates and it is always fun to catch up with old classmates and share experiences.  I also think it is very exciting that we have such a close community where graduates are so willing to come back and give advice to current students.”

The famous Chevy's Night!

Lambda Pi Eta is the official honor society of the National Communication Association.  To be eligible for membership, you must have completed 60 units and at least three Communication Studies courses, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.0, a 3.25 major GPA, and you cannot have earned a grade lower than a B- in any COMS course.

Thanks, Lauren, for taking us to “Club Ed!”  Thanks also for all of your hard work with Lambda Pi Eta this year!

2 Comments

1. We’ll miss you Lauren! You did a great job with LPH this year and we’ll look forward to inviting you back for alumni events 🙂